Roaches...

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You've got me really considering those B. Dubias, but for $10 a dozen (for the death heads), it's hard to pass up.

I could get a couple dozen pretty cheap and have a (hopefully) decent colony in a couple of months..

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
You've got me really considering those B. Dubias, but for $10 a dozen (for the death heads), it's hard to pass up.
My wife doesn't know this yet ;), but if I see someone selling off B. discoidales at those kind of prices, I'll probably have a second roach colony in the closet. I'm not entirely sure why most of the dealers charge the prices they do. I guess at those prices, they never sell fast enough to deplete the parent colonies, letting them offer them year round instead of only when a colony is ready to burst.

I was tempted by the B. crannifer's myself, but I'd rather wait on some discoidales. I'm not in a hurry at this point. Besides, if you wait, by this fall I'll probably be offering some B. dubia at firesale prices as well. I've got a lot of room in that roach colony for them to expand into, but only 40 tarantulas and no herps. Although I curse how slow it has been to get started, once it's fully established there's just no way I'll be able to feed out of it quick enough to keep the population down.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe I'll hold out until you get them going, then.

I'd feel more comfortable buying from you than I would from some guy who only has a few posts here. I'm not very trusting because of a few previous deals I had.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
B. gigantea or gigantica?

Botar
I think gigantea, but my books are at work and I haven't been there in 2 weeks (my wife just had a baby)!

I've kept these three blabs, and of the three, I'd say discoidles is the best producer, but gigantea are awsome just to look at! The late-stage nymphs are increadble, they look like trilobites!

Wade

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Anyone try death head roaches?

There's some for sale for $10 in the For sale section.

He said they can't climb glass or smooth plastic. And as much as I want to trust him, before getting a colony of roaches, I want to be 200% sure they can't climb plastic.
I have about 40 or 50 death head roaches, I have never seen them on the sides of their bins (I keep them in plastic file folder plastic containers). they seem hardier than mad hisser roaches, I have mad hisser roaches and death heads on the same shelf and the death heads seem to be producing more babies. I will probably let the mad hissers just peter out and go with the death heads......
Ed