Roaches: substrate or not?

Luis138

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I have a question. I am starting cultures of B. dubia, B. discoidalis, B. lateralis, N. cinerea and N. rhombifolia. Do I need substrate with any of these species? I would rather not use any substrate unless any of these particular species needs it.

If I do need substrate, what should I use. A mixture of peat moss, rotten wood, coconut fiber? What?

Please help me, I want my cultures to thrive and multiply fast.

Thank you,

Luis

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try using the search function. This question has been asked many times.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep B. dubia on NO substrate and mine are multiplying like crazy. :)

Kimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep B.dubia without substrate and B.lateralis with substrate cose they need higher humidity for hatching from ootheca...Mine do great and breed fast, but take long to mature about 4 months for dubia and 3 for lateralis. Hope this helps!

barkobarko

Arachnopeon
my b.dubia

my dubia dont have subtrate either......some site says...

best substrate is no substrate for dubias...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Substrate doesnt matter IME. They do well either with or without. Its your call, either way you wont be wrong

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
substrate

This is one I have gone back and forth on over the years. I was not using for some time on the common species, but I like to use an undustrial sprayer to mist my roaches and it can get a little messy without substrate. I know use a 50/50 mix of spaghum moss and vermiculite. Really the only downside to substrate is when it does come time to clean it takes longer to pick out all the babies, but the majority of the roaches still stay in the egg flats.
James
www.blaberus.com

Luis138

Arachnopeon
Thank you for everyone that has responded. So, latteralis and harlequins seem to be the ones needing substrate. Am I wrong?

simon780

Arachnopeon
I have once used substrate with my lateralis, eggs were hatching without much matainence, I left them alone, and let them breed for weeks, but when it comes to cleaning, it's a mess, and found a few mites in the enclosure.

Now I have gone back using no substrate, I mist them heavily every 2 or 3 days to prevent eggs drying, if the enclosure is too humid, I stop misting, let it dry out, and start misting again, I find keeping them this way works the best.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I belive it all depends on the roaches, some species require substrate for humidity purposes, others require it for burrowing, and some don't care, i personally only keep my blaberus, panchlora, and hissers on substrate.

-Eric

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don't use substrate or mist my B. lateralis colony. But then again look where i live... :D