Roaches scare me

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
I don't know why but roaches scare me ..I would love too get a few...but can't even be in the same room with them with out feeling scared ..been scared since I was a young girl ..ant that don't look like roaches .

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was terrified of roaches a few years ago. Let me tell you, keeping a colony of them gets rid of the fear real quick. Now I can scoop them up by the handful without issue.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
I was terrified of roaches a few years ago. Let me tell you, keeping a colony of them gets rid of the fear real quick. Now I can scoop them up by the handful without issue.
I'm looking into getting just a couple lol..too see if I like them lol

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I don't mind having them... but oh I HATE the feeling of one crawling on me... it always ends with a violent fling back into it's tote and once I'm doing messing with them it's right to the bathroom for a good hand to elbow washing. *shudders* I know they're clean but ugh I just don't like them touching me.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm looking into getting just a couple lol..too see if I like them lol
Buy some from @Hisserdude. He's got more than a few species to choose from.

I don't mind having them... but oh I HATE the feeling of one crawling on me... it always ends with a violent fling back into it's tote and once I'm doing messing with them it's right to the bathroom for a good hand to elbow washing. *shudders* I know they're clean but ugh I just don't like them touching me.
I don't know about them being clean. My fingers always get slimey if I deal with them for extended periods of time. Clearly some kind of secretion, and I don't want it on me :rofl:

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Buy some from @Hisserdude. He's got more than a few species to choose from.

I don't know about them being clean. My fingers always get slimey if I deal with them for extended periods of time. Clearly some kind of secretion, and I don't want it on me :rofl:
I keep the red runners (B. lats) and yeah they do get that sticky nasty substance (yay for tongs). I meant clean as in not dirty as non hobbyists think roaches are. My gf was doing feedings once while I was gaming with some friends and she ended up getting roach guts on her glasses. She said when she tore the head off, the juices sprayed on her lips and her glasses (I thought it was hilarious but she was quite the opposite) Out of nowhere I hear "OH MY GOD" then her running to the bathroom gagging (haha laughing about it as I'm typing) She always seems to get the "crappy" situations.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I keep the red runners (B. lats) and yeah they do get that sticky nasty substance (yay for tongs). I meant clean as in not dirty as non hobbyists think roaches are. My gf was doing feedings once while I was gaming with some friends and she ended up getting roach guts on her glasses. She said when she tore the head off, the juices sprayed on her lips and her glasses (I thought it was hilarious but she was quite the opposite) Out of nowhere I hear "OH MY GOD" then her running to the bathroom gagging (haha laughing about it as I'm typing) She always seems to get the "crappy" situations.
Oh god, that's terrible! I wouldn't have been happy either. Tell her to crush them next time!

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
If they get out can they be a pest ?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
The Therea spp. are great for katsaridaphobes, they are cute, fuzzy as nymphs, and very attractively patterned as adults! Plus they look more like beetles than roaches, so they make a great choice. :) Unfortunately the nymphs can take a couple years to mature though, and the adults only live a few months.

Then of course you have the hissers, Gromphadorhina, Elliptorhina and Aeluropoda spp., which all make good pet species, and most of them are very easy to care for. They are active, good for handling, and look quite different from your "typical" roach, and are the most commonly kept beginner roaches.

Hemiblabera tenebricosa is also another good beginner species, they are large and decent for handling, and are very easy to care for and breed. Same goes for most Blaberus species, though some of those can be quite skittish in comparison. B.atropos is pretty good for handling though. :)

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
The Therea spp. are great for katsaridaphobes, they are cute, fuzzy as nymphs, and very attractively patterned as adults! Plus they look more like beetles than roaches, so they make a great choice. :) Unfortunately the nymphs can take a couple years to mature though, and the adults only live a few months.

Then of course you have the hissers, Gromphadorhina, Elliptorhina and Aeluropoda spp., which all make good pet species, and most of them are very easy to care for. They are active, good for handling, and look quite different from your "typical" roach, and are the most commonly kept beginner roaches.

Hemiblabera tenebricosa is also another good beginner species, they are large and decent for handling, and are very easy to care for and breed. Same goes for most Blaberus species, though some of those can be quite skittish in comparison. B.atropos is pretty good for handling though. :)
Thank you ..so they like need a heat mat ..I know some do too live ?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thank you ..so they like need a heat mat ..I know some do too live ?
No roaches that are currently in the hobby need a heat mat to just live, as long as the room they are in isn't always in the lower 60s to 50s. Many roaches survive just fine at room temperature, however many of them can't actually reproduce unless kept warmer, in the upper 70s to 80s, so you'll need heat mats for some roaches if you want them to breed, yes.

BTW, try to affix heat mats to the sides of enclosures rather than the bottom, as heating roaches from under their enclosure can be dangerous for them, as they often head downwards to escape heat, and if they need to cool down they'll go down and get closer to the heat mat and may die.

Hemiblabera and most of the Blaberus species breed well at room temperature though, as well as many other species. :)

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
No roaches that are currently in the hobby need a heat mat to just live, as long as the room they are in isn't always in the lower 60s to 50s. Many roaches survive just fine at room temperature, however many of them can't actually reproduce unless kept warmer, in the upper 70s to 80s, so you'll need heat mats for some roaches if you want them to breed, yes.

BTW, try to affix heat mats to the sides of enclosures rather than the bottom, as heating roaches from under their enclosure can be dangerous for them, as they often head downwards to escape heat, and if they need to cool down they'll go down and get closer to the heat mat and may die.

Hemiblabera and most of the Blaberus species breed well at room temperature though, as well as many other species. :)
75 in my pet room ....summer is like 80 lol

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
If they get out can they be a pest ?
No they die within a few days. I have a cat that loves to play with any escapees (they can't climb or fly and the males grow wings) Unlike dubia roaches, these don't bury themselves in your animal's enclosure. Just like dubia, keep them warm between 75-80 degrees F for them to breed.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Oh god, that's terrible! I wouldn't have been happy either. Tell her to crush them next time!
She was pulling them apart for some slings. lol she said that one just happened to be a fat one and that was the only time it happened to her.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I feel bad for you, lol. I'm not afraid of roaches, but the invasive pest ones always make me flinch. I'd love a pet hisser, though!