roaches not breeding

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
why wont they breed? they are discoids, and i have about 20. i feed them catfood and they have to moistened paper towels for water.

whats up? is it possible they are too hot? i live in az and usually dont have the ac on.

ideas?

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just leave them be. They wont breed if you keep bugging them. Just set and forget.

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually catfood is much higher in protein than dogfood.
Have you introduced fruits and greens?
They would actually do quite well on a veggie diet with a little cooked eggyolk
once in awhile.
Make sure your temps are not exceeding 100 degrees and that the enclosure is well ventilated and in a dark area.
20 is not a large starter colony....I have found when the # of adults is higher it seems to speed the breeding.
You may consider adding a few more

-Brad

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I had it backwards -- I read somewhere that cat food was bad because of protien content and remembered it in the wrong direction. Cheshire mentioned that too much protien can be bad for roaches (I'd guess that he's trustworthy).

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I've tried several different things over the last 3 years, and dog food just doesnt give the results for me that cat food does. I run cat food through a coffee grinder, and mix it with ground oatmeal and grind up whatever type of cereal has gone stale around the kitchen area of the house and mix them all together. Havent found a roach yet that doesnt produce better for me on this diet.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've tried several different things over the last 3 years, and dog food just doesnt give the results for me that cat food does. I run cat food through a coffee grinder, and mix it with ground oatmeal and grind up whatever type of cereal has gone stale around the kitchen area of the house and mix them all together. Havent found a roach yet that doesnt produce better for me on this diet.
Any specific brand you use?

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I do have a brand that I like, but I can't think of the name of it. I'll check the bag when I get home. I know it's a light green bag with a picture of an orange cat on the bag.