Roaches for small collection?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi I am becoming fed up with crickets because I always have to buy more and I'm pretty sure it is impossible to breed the petstore ones. And even if I could breed them it seems lime everyone uses roaches so that may be an indication crickets suck lol. Plus crickets really annoy me. So I want to start a roach colony but never have because my collection is small. I have 2 adult tarantulas and 1 sling. I also have 4 fire belly toads. Ik that roach colonies can sustain themselves but I also don't want an overpopulation. I don't really want to have to destroy any roaches and selling them would be kind of hard because I'm a minor and don't have an "e-money" accounts and stuff. So is there any other way to keep a colonie down or is it alright if thers like a million of them and will they stop reproducing if there is too many? Also are these as scary as they seem? Is it easy to get an infestation? (my mom will need ALOT of persuading!) or should I just stick to crickets and have to buy them EVERY week? Any advice is appreciated. :)

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they breed to much keep them cooler. And with dubia roaches the risk of infestation is very unlikely plus it would be hard to let one escape because they cannot climb smooth surfaces. I say go for it and save some time money sleep(dang chirping) and frabreze(crickets stink like rotting peanutbuter).

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I keep mine in a smaller container and haven't had any worries of overpopulation. I will admit that a couple of my T's wont eat the roaches, but I'm hoping one day they will come around.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they breed to much keep them cooler. And with dubia roaches the risk of infestation is very unlikely plus it would be hard to let one escape because they cannot climb smooth surfaces. I say go for it and save some time money sleep(dang chirping) and frabreze(crickets stink like rotting peanutbuter).
well I will have no trouble keeping them cool. We like to keep the thermostat low lol. Summer is very hot though. And I guess I might just have to destroy a bunch every once in a while though. Now my only problem is the most powerful thing I know of....……MOM. This may be the toughest thing I have to persuade her on. Although my persuasion skills are strong. I have 3 tarantulas I must be good at it! Lol.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know exactly how u feel. My mom and dad said NOOOO WAYYY!!! So I went to a pet show and somone there was selling dubia roaches. Well the person selling them got my grandma who brought me to the show on board and we then bought a giant plastic tub some chicken feed for food and 35 mixed dubia roaches. My mom was kinda like well there here I better just get used to it. Lol. I have a space heater blasting at it and they still havnt been breeding?:? Dang dubia roaches

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just go talk to a dealer or seller and have your mom go with you so they can tell her all about them. Or you can show them some websites with information.

Present to her the advantages of having a colony:
-Not spending money every week
-No noise
-No odor
-They can't infest your house
-They can't climb so no escapes.
-etc.

I'm sure if you reason with her and lay out the pros and cons (if any) then she will let you.

Good luck

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I have roaches for only two slings and two small geckos. When I thin the colony, I just give the ones I don't need to friends who have chickens. The chickens love them.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just go talk to a dealer or seller and have your mom go with you so they can tell her all about them. Or you can show them some websites with information.

Present to her the advantages of having a colony:
-Not spending money every week
-No noise
-No odor
-They can't infest your house
-They can't climb so no escapes.
-etc.

I'm sure if you reason with her and lay out the pros and cons (if any) then she will let you.

Good luck
I just laid out the idea tonight and of course she was like no way (part of my plan) so over a little while I'll attempt to give her the facts and guilt her. I'll figure somthing out. Lol. Thanks for the help:)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My solution.

Get B. dubia.

Breed and trade. no need to sell when there are many people willing to trade for them. This benefits you and the other person. you, get rid of some roaches, plus new Ts. The other person gets roaches.

B. dubia arent bad. as nymphs they remind me of rolly pollies. as they get bigger, they are pretty slow and big. cant loose one of them to easily.

They wont infest your house...like Lats, or lobsters will.

They are almost like a secondary pet. I find myself holding them every now and again, just to observe them. Plus there are many color forms in one colony which is always fun.

Also, if I am not mistaken you dont need to be 18 to have a pay pal account. just need an active bank account. which I know you can get before 18. I have had mine since 16.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My solution.

Get B. dubia.

Breed and trade. no need to sell when there are many people willing to trade for them. This benefits you and the other person. you, get rid of some roaches, plus new Ts. The other person gets roaches.

B. dubia arent bad. as nymphs they remind me of rolly pollies. as they get bigger, they are pretty slow and big. cant loose one of them to easily.

They wont infest your house...like Lats, or lobsters will.

They are almost like a secondary pet. I find myself holding them every now and again, just to observe them. Plus there are many color forms in one colony which is always fun.

Also, if I am not mistaken you dont need to be 18 to have a pay pal account. just need an active bank account. which I know you can get before 18. I have had mine since 16.
I can't trade for tarantulas because I can only have so many (I'm fine with that) also I wouldn't mind giving them away for free as long as somone payed for shipping. So I guess I could make a paypal account someday. But that is far away. First I actualy have to get roaches!