Roaches are AWESOME!!!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a bunch of dubia roaches today for the first time, and not only will they sustain themselves (hopefully, no more crix) but they are CUTE!, I love how they run around! I gave them some tangerine as a snack and they piled on top of it! Most NORMAL people find that repulsive (I think my mom is never coming in my room again) but I think it is adorable watching them all try to get some! Here is a pic of them. Anyone else have any cute roach pictures?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you think dubias are cute, you should see the pet roach species. :D

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I should just be content with these. I'm lucky I was able to get them at all! lol

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I should just be content with these. I'm lucky I was able to get them at all! lol
If you need the classic "They aren't roaches, they're beetles!" excuse to be fully embodied, might I suggest the aptly named Pacific beetle mimic? :p

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you need the classic "They aren't roaches, they're beetles!" excuse to be fully embodied, might I suggest the aptly named Pacific beetle mimic? :p

Lol I keep telling my mom, "they are barely roaches! they are just bugs, that happen to eat anything and breed at a somewhat rapid rate!"

Athelas

Arachnopeon
Tell her to think of them as puppies .. but with exoskeletons. ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EShell

Arachnopeon
I started a B. Dubia colony to feed bearded dragons and it's been a HUGE improvement over crix.

I have two bins, with about 100 females, 35-40 males in one and getting up to about 1,500 nymphs in the other. They need to be kept warm (90-95oF), dark and hydrated to flourish and reproduce. Lots of husbandry info online, and quite a few online sellers.

Rue

Arachnoknight
They are cute.

I have a colony of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches...and I quite enjoy them...

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
You should visit this place.

The Gyna genus is a personal favorite of mine.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha I'm a little nervous about when they start to breed, and if my colony explodes. I guess I will have to sell them off, because I only have 4 tarantulas and 6 frogs. Now I'm concerned about when (and I know it has to happen at least once) my mom finds a stray roach:8o:8o Baaaaaad things will happen{D{D.

eeyoremd

Arachnopeon
Yes, roaches are awesome. I started with six hissers... Now I have nine species including a huge dubia colony. And if your mom should happen to find a stray, just let her know that most species won't survive on their own outside the enclosure... Except on Florida. lol

echostatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just started a dubia colony, no pictures yet but my first thought was "adorable". A good friend of mine disagreed and said I was "sick". Well, different tastes, I guess.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha I'm a little nervous about when they start to breed, and if my colony explodes. I guess I will have to sell them off, because I only have 4 tarantulas and 6 frogs. Now I'm concerned about when (and I know it has to happen at least once) my mom finds a stray roach:8o:8o Baaaaaad things will happen{D{D.
My mom found a MM dubia in her bed one not-so-good-night{DI woke up to:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.I was {D{D{D:D:D:D{D,but then she said they had to go...now I am :(:mad::(.I miss having the little buggers around!

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is one that we have found to be considered the cutest by people who get nauseous at the mere thought of cockroaches.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, how long does it take for them to start breeding? I still don't see any babies, and I do have adults. Are my temps not right? I have a heat pad and the container is next to my heater, which doesn't put out a great amount of heat. I put a thermometer in towards the bottom over the heat mat, and it said 80 degrees. Does it usualy take them a while to get going?

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
Give it another month hassman, there should be plenty of babies at 3 months and an expolsion at or before 6 months, usually. 80 degrees is warm enough, you can go as high as 95 ish with good humidity (50-60%) but in my experience not reaching 60% humidity and 90 degrees doesn't mean dead colony. I had thousands from a start of a hundred in 5 months with a human heating pad giving my tub a 80 ish degree temp.

anybody feel free to correct me on any of that