Roach walking straight into T’s Hide!

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
So my juvenile sub adult Tliltocatl albopilosus is around 3 inches & I fed her a roach on Friday. I didn’t see her eat it but it had definitely gone the next morning. I’ve tried another just now (quite a big one it turned out) & it wandered straight into her hide. She was in there. For many moments there was no movement at all then the roach backed out very slowly. It’s happily chewing leaves now! I’m guessing she doesn’t want to feed & I should try again maybe Friday?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Take it out. Dont feed juveniles too large prey, some takes down large prey but some shy away from them. Better you feed smaller preyitems

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
Take it out. Dont feed juveniles too large prey, some takes down large prey but some shy away from them. Better you feed smaller preyitems
I’ve taken it out as it had started to bury itself into the substrate. Now I have a tub full of these! The one I’m sure she ate last week was smaller. But not much.
I’m pretty sure these dubia roaches are not the right ones I should be feeding her. I might get some blatta lateralis?
Could the roach have injured my T, they were face to face for about a minute before the roach backed out of her hide?
What shall I do with this tub full of huge great bloody dubias? My hubby says just let them loose outside & they will die.
I’m annoyed at the exotic pet shop who sold me them!!!! 👿

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
DO NOT LET THEM LOOSE! They are not endemic from where you live. One shall never release insects or other animals that are from other habitats. Cockroaches are experts on survival and some speicies can survive radioactive fallouts. I would nit be surprized if dubias can breed where you live, especially with this global warming going on. You should return to the store and switch them for something bettrr or kill them and freeze them and feed them dead

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
DO NOT LET THEM LOOSE! They are not endemic from where you live. One shall never release insects or other animals that are from other habitats. Cockroaches are experts on survival and some speicies can survive radioactive fallouts. I would nit be surprized if dubias can breed where you live, especially with this global warming going on. You should return to the store and switch them for something bettrr or kill them and freeze them and feed them dead
Ok, the place where I got them from isn’t nearby as they were sent through the post but I do have a pet shop down the road I could take them to. They could then feed them to their bigger T’s etc. Thanks for your help.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, i would have taken them there and askt if they wanna switched them to smaller roaches, like dubia nymphs or B lateralis. Good luck

cold blood

Staff member
sub adult Tliltocatl albopilosus is around 3 inches & I fed her a roach on Friday. I didn’t see her eat it but it had definitely gone the next morning. I’ve tried another just now
Theres no need to feed that often at all, especially when feeding riaches, which tend to be larger and meatier....theres literally no advantage to a heavy feeding schedule....in fact, doing so will result in a t that fasts for very long periods and often hides away.

One roach every 10-15 days is more than enough.
I’ve taken it out as it had started to bury itself into the substrate
Rule #1 of feeding dubia: always crush their heads first....this prevents them from burrowing.
They could then feed them to their bigger T’s etc. Thanks for your help.
or you could simply cut the dubia in half and just feed half.

Last edited:

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
Yes, i would have taken them there and askt if they wanna switched them to smaller roaches, like dubia nymphs or B lateralis. Good luck
Thanks!

Theres no need to feed that often at all, especially when feeding riaches, which tend to be larger and meatier....theres literally no advantage to a heavy feeding schedule....in fact, doing so will result in a t that fasrs for very long periods and often hides away.

One roach every 10-15 days is more than enough.

Rule #1 of feeding dubia: always crush their heads first....this prevents them from burrowing.

or you could simply cut the dubia in half and just feed half.
Oh my days that’s gross!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve taken it out as it had started to bury itself into the substrate. Now I have a tub full of these! The one I’m sure she ate last week was smaller. But not much.
I’m pretty sure these dubia roaches are not the right ones I should be feeding her. I might get some blatta lateralis?
Could the roach have injured my T, they were face to face for about a minute before the roach backed out of her hide?
What shall I do with this tub full of huge great bloody dubias? My hubby says just let them loose outside & they will die.
I’m annoyed at the exotic pet shop who sold me them!!!! 👿
DO NOT LET THEM LOOSE...really roaches just die...not at all, they are extremely hardy, don't put foreign species outside...that's an idea from the crazy nutjob factory jeez:rolleyes:.

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
DO NOT LET THEM LOOSE...really roaches just die...not at all, they are extremely hardy, don't put foreign species outside...that's an idea from the crazy nutjob factory jeez:rolleyes:.
Ok, hubby’s only put one outside so far. So if my T refuses food are the roaches ok to go back in with the others? The only reason hubby threw this one was because he said it was no longer sterile so couldn’t go back in with its friends.

Esmerelda

Arachnopeon
Sterile?? they were never sterile to begin with.
Ok lol. I don’t know anything about bugs. I researched the T lots before I got her but not really the roaches. So people have mentioned crushing the roaches’ heads before I feed so they can’t burrow. How do you do that? If T doesn’t want to feed then I’m guessing I can put that roach in the freezer to kill it?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
To crush heads, get a pair of tongs and just squeeze until you hear a crunch. :)