Roach Pinning/Preservation

rosscleland

Arachnopeon
Hi All. When my inverts eventually die I would like to preserve and display them. My common sense tells me that I must need to remove the internal organs otherwise they will rot and fester. I've read/watched hours of insect preservation content and there is never any mention of organ removal! Apparently I simply need to pin it in place and let it dry out (in sealed isolation to avoid infestation). Do I really just let it dry? Do I really not need to remove the guts? Hopefully some folk here have experience in preservation. Thanks!

p.s. I'm currently keeping hissers, question mark roaches, headlight roaches, giant African millipede, giant Madagascan millipede, sun beetles.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Hi All. When my inverts eventually die I would like to preserve and display them. My common sense tells me that I must need to remove the internal organs otherwise they will rot and fester. I've read/watched hours of insect preservation content and there is never any mention of organ removal! Apparently I simply need to pin it in place and let it dry out (in sealed isolation to avoid infestation). Do I really just let it dry? Do I really not need to remove the guts? Hopefully some folk here have experience in preservation. Thanks!

p.s. I'm currently keeping hissers, question mark roaches, headlight roaches, giant African millipede, giant Madagascan millipede, sun beetles.
The removal of organs is unnecessary except for that of inverts who do not possess much or any exoskeleton structure.

Basically soak the inverts in very strong (closest you can get to 100%) alcohol or ethanol. This can be done in vials, jars or anything else sealed. This will relax the limbs and appendages as well as preserve the invert to an extent. Once done set the invert into the desired position, wait for it to set into place and then pin/card it.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
The removal of organs is unnecessary except for that of inverts who do not possess much or any exoskeleton structure.

Basically soak the inverts in very strong (closest you can get to 100%) alcohol or ethanol. This can be done in vials, jars or anything else sealed. This will relax the limbs and appendages as well as preserve the invert to an extent. Once done set the invert into the desired position, wait for it to set into place and then pin/card it.
I also heard that you can soak the invertebrates in hand sanitizer

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hot water is good for relaxing specimens as well. That or creating a relaxing chamber. Unless it's something really meaty, you don't have to worry about removing organs. As long as they're placed somewhere where they'll dry relatively quickly they should be fine. Of the roaches and beetles you listed, organ removal isn't necessary.

I pin first and then move the limbs how I want them before letting them dry. Carding is more secure for the specimen, but it obscures ventral features that may be useful for ID (talking generally, not about your roaches in this case).

mellow

Arachnobaron
Yeah you don't have to remove the guts from the roaches they will just dry out and it should work out fine, but if you want to know about gut removal for things that might need it like pinning a big tarantula or something, look up tarantula taxidermy. 😃