Roach laid an eggsac.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I caught a wild oriental cockroach and was planning to feed it to mantis, but it has just laid an egg sac. I have no clue what to do, how can I care for it to make sure it hatches? It lives in a plastic deli cup, and has not eaten anything I have given it so far. Thanks

Last edited:

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I caught a wild oriental cockroach and was planning to feed it to mantis, but it has just laid an egg sac. I have no clue what to do, how can I care for it to make sure it hatches? It lives in a plastic deli cup, and has not eaten anything I have given it so far. Thanks
Put some moist coconut fiber in the bottom of the container. Continue offering her various food items. Eventually the ooth will hatch and she'll probably lay more. Humidity is important but everything will mold over if things are too humid.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Put some moist coconut fiber in the bottom of the container. Continue offering her various food items. Eventually the ooth will hatch and she'll probably lay more. Humidity is important but everything will mold over if things are too humid.
ok thanks for the reply
but is there anything else I can use as substrate? I'd rather not buy a whole packet of coconut fiber just for one cockraoch

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok thanks for the reply
but is there anything else I can use as substrate? I'd rather not buy a whole packet of coconut fiber just for one cockraoch
Basically any sort of substrate will do. The best thing you can probably find is some very "rich" soil from under an area where leaves accumulate. If there's a forest nearby you could use soil from that. Paper towel will also work in a pinch but it's hard to keep it as evenly humid as an actual substrate.