Roach Help...

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have been offered a small number of each of the following, which I may cultivate and use as a feeder species, and would appreciate any firsthand info you can supply me, regarding size, breeding rate and suitability as a feede:

Schultesia lampyridiformis
Rhyparobia maderae.
Phoetalia pallida
Loboptera decipiens
Eublaberus distanti.

I'm aware there are other species that may be more suitable, but it's these I need help with, please...

Cheers! :D

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok well

Schultesia lampyridiformis - dont have them yet i will have them soon

Rhyparobia maderae - have a few very fun not amazing feeders tho

Phoetalia pallida - pest specie very drought resistant so can live in homes and very small

Loboptera decipiens - dont have yet but look semi prolific so i must get them
i think they would be the same nutritionally as shelfordella tartara

Eublaberus distanti - one of the best roaches i have ever owned breed amazingly i have no more that 25 adults and there are proble a thousand small babies in there. I have fed them molting dubia crickets and mealworms and are know as a joke between me and a friend as death from below roaches since they chew on food and prey from below and drag injured animals underthe serface. good feeders for tarantulas but not for amphibians because of the spines on their legs. Put about 20 in a tank at 80 to 100 f and feed them you will not see any untill you are over run a very good thing for me but not for all:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

hope this helps

thanx froggy

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks, Froggy!

P. pallida - I'm in a very hot climate, so do you reckon I should rather get rid of these in case of escapes?

R. maderae - heard these might also be pestiverous? Any thoughts?

E. distanti - 'Death from Below'...sounds like a grunge band!! {D

Anyone else with input on these five species, please?

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would stay away from the pallids
the madeiras are fun and i have tons loose
they just dont grow
and yes death from beloz sounds like a grunge band
how many eublaberus distanti are you getting?
i would say get into those the most
go seachiong for a big tank
like a 40 breeder
i have mine in a 3' x 19'' x 24'' tank thats a costom
eublaberus prosticus are in the tank below it
same size
put about 4 to 12 inches of soil in and wait
food will disaapear faster and faster haha

thanx froggy

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
E. distanti = 20 or so, and really, most of the others will be the same qty.

I am really battling to find info on these species, whereas B. dubia, and the more popular ones are easy to chase down! :D

Thing is, I live in South Africa, and getting hold of ANY imported roach is near impossible, so I will take all of these and make damn sure I keep the lids tight! {D

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never heard of Phoetalia pallida being regarded as a pest species. Vaseline keeps them in check, but they don't even try to escape as it is. Both the nymphs and the adults prefer to hide. If you looked inside the cage that I keep them in, you would not see any of them roaming about because they're that secretive. And from my own experience, they DO need water, otherwise, the colony will experience a high rate of deaths.

I personally would be more concerned about Schultesia lampyridiformis escaping, since they are smaller than the pallids. Plus, both the nymphs and adults are VERY active and try to climb out of the cage. This is one of the only species I keep where the nymphs are just as visible and active as the adults. Make sure you don't miss any spots when you apply that Vaseline. {D