Roach feeding question

Lukapo

Arachnopeon
So just a short question here. About 2-3 weeks ago i got my first ever tarantula (GBB, Female 7cm) and she has been great, she started to web a lot and its amazing to watch her, but i'm not here for her but for her feeders. To feed her i ordered around 40 Blatta Lateralis roaches (I know its too much but because of the Corona situation i had no other buyer to buy from and he was selling 40 minimum as i live in Croatia where the hobby isn't widely spread). So for the past 3 weeks i have been feeding them Banana's,Carrots and Oranges but i read on some places that they require protein, and that dog food is a good source for that. But on the other hand i heard that too much protein in roaches can harm a tarantula? I don't know which is true and there is a lot of misinformation on the internet so i'd like some advice from experienced keepers, what should i feed my colony to keep them alive and healthy during this pandemic? I am a dog owner so dog food and vegetables are all an option for me. I know that there is roach food in the petshop's but everything is closed now because of the virus.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The dog food will be fine, I've never had an issue with too much protein with any of my feeders (honestly not even sure that's a thing, just a random rumor).

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I agree with @pannaking22 If you are supplementing their frugo diet with some quality dog food then ya. If you are feeding them only dog food, that's not great. You can always add some chicken scratch that is lower in protein, generally the layer crumbles is good if you don't feed them calcium. Will they survive on only dog food? Yes. Is it good practice? Not really for scavenger species. Usually dog food has enough grain with vitamins and minerals injected into it to not worry. Dubiaroachdepot is a very good resource for breeding them. They have already dealt with a lot of trial and error. They have multiple guides for certain situations.