roach colony

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm wanting to establish a dubia colony [if i can convince my parents to let me that is] and was looking for advice on where to get the first one's and how to establish the colony. also, does anyone know if i would be able to sell some to pet stores? 'cause i may end up with more than i need and they may get out of control.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. buy them online or at an expo
2. search button/stickies
3. most big business pet stores will not buy
4. nice name

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
You can get your starter colony here in AB. We have a lot of respectable people who sell good quality roaches. As to selling it on your LPS, I think you have a better chance of selling it here to fellow AB members.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I got a good deal on dubia from Rich65 here on the boards he's located in California so maybe you might want to find someone closer to you,but if you don't mind shipping costs he'll set you up. So glad I got a colony going I started with 200 and have way more than I need for my sixteen T's.I don't know how many T's you have but a hundred would have been enough for me.Offer up oranges and various veggies and they do the rest way easy.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I buy some of my roaches from Aaron Pauling, he is a member here and has his own website that deals mainly in roaches. I actually just ordered some to boost my colony from him earlier this week so I can let you know of the survival rate in the cooler weather. I should see no problem though I've got cockroaches in freezing temps before without an issue because he uses heat packs.

Dubia roaches are easy to breed if the cage is kept free of rotting food and stagnant water. Speaking of which, buy water gel for them, decreases the drowning rate which is kinda high with them. Keep them warm and semi-damp with fresh fruit and dry protien like cat food kibble or cockroach feed from a dealer.

My local pet store will buy roaches but the prices they offer is not really that good. Like most have already said; selling extras to members on here is your best bet. Again, good luck, roaches are great feeders and pets!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
You can get your starter colony here in AB. We have a lot of respectable people who sell good quality roaches. As to selling it on your LPS, I think you have a better chance of selling it here to fellow AB members.
I have a LPS that is always asking me for some.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish I could get rid of excess roaches that easily. I have a lateralis and dubia colony. I've gone to many pet stores trying to get them to carry them over crickets, a few have said they would love to but it is harder to get the average small pet owner to buy them and there is also the concern of infestation being traced back to them if they sell them and people are careless. One of my LPS didn't see the benefits at all and said they would never carry roaches. Overall roach colonies are very misunderstood by the average person. Like mentioned your best bet is to sell excess online or use practices to keep the population under control like cutting temp down etc to make the breeding slow down.

v1641

Arachnopeon
Starting to breed a dubia family is a very good idea. You just to have to get the starter ones from a pet store or you can easily get them online. They will be much better ones than the local pet store ones. They will breed at a very fast rate, so you should be well equipped to handle that. They have to be fed with special foods like fresh fruits. Another advantage is that you can even sell those dubia roaches to other interested people.