Roach allergens

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I know pest roaches and hissers have allergens in their poop and exoskeletons, so you need to wash your hands after touching. Does this extend to all roaches?

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure, but I think it's typically a good idea to wash your hands before and after handling most animals.
It obviously won't hurt to wash your hands after handling anything.

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I'm not sure, but I think it's typically a good idea to wash your hands before and after handling most animals.
It obviously won't hurt to wash your hands after handling anything.
Yeah, I always do anyway. I was just wondering which ones were allergenic.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well let me say this, when I had hissers, I actually developed an allergy to them. When I looked into their cage I'd get a little congested, and when I handled them I'd get blisters where their spikes had touched my skin. The same thing would happen when other large roaches touched me too, however I got no reactions from small roaches at all.

I got rid of my hissers a little while ago, and yesterday I noticed while holding my Byrsotria fumigata, that I wasn't getting any sort of reaction whatsoever. I don't know if it was just the hissers making my skin react to any other large roach, or if my allergy just went away, but I seem to be able to hold large roaches with no problems now. :)

So yeah, hissers in particular seem to give the worst reactions, however I'm not saying other roaches don't give reactions either. I knew someone who became extremely allergic to her Therea and Polyphaga colonies, and had to give them away. I think all roaches have allergens, however the same goes for everything else too, food, clothing, plants, etc., so I wouldn't worry too much about it, just enjoy the hobby as much as you can, and if you do develop an allergy, then try holding the roaches less to avoid exposure to them, and always wash your hands after doing cage maintenance, (I would do that regardless of allergens anyway lol).

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
Well let me say this, when I had hissers, I actually developed an allergy to them. When I looked into their cage I'd get a little congested, and when I handled them I'd get blisters where their spikes had touched my skin. The same thing would happen when other large roaches touched me too, however I got no reactions from small roaches at all.

I got rid of my hissers a little while ago, and yesterday I noticed while holding my Byrsotria fumigata, that I wasn't getting any sort of reaction whatsoever. I don't know if it was just the hissers making my skin react to any other large roach, or if my allergy just went away, but I seem to be able to hold large roaches with no problems now. :)

So yeah, hissers in particular seem to give the worst reactions, however I'm not saying other roaches don't give reactions either. I knew someone who became extremely allergic to her Therea and Polyphaga colonies, and had to give them away. I think all roaches have allergens, however the same goes for everything else too, food, clothing, plants, etc., so I wouldn't worry too much about it, just enjoy the hobby as much as you can, and if you do develop an allergy, then try holding the roaches less to avoid exposure to them, and always wash your hands after doing cage maintenance, (I would do that regardless of allergens anyway lol).
Yup! Roaches are my favorite insects, so I'd hate to be allergic to them. I tend to be fairly resistant to allergens anyway, so hopefully I don't end up allergic to my pets! :(

skyvie

Arachnopeon
When I got tested for allergies one of the allergens they tested for (among many others) was roaches. It was either Periplaneta americana or Blatella germanica. I'm not completely sure if it was one or both. But yeah, roach allergies are real for some people (not me yet).

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
I have always had an abundance of allergies. A few years ago I developed a sensitivity to my super worm colony. Nothing major - but runny nose, sneezing and such. I wear a mask now whenever I tend to my feeders.:doctor:

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I know a lot of insects tend to end up causing allergies if you're subjected to them a lot, especially if you don't wear any kind of protection or don't handle them in a ventilated area.
That was something I thought of after the fact.