- Aug 26, 2016
I know pest roaches and hissers have allergens in their poop and exoskeletons, so you need to wash your hands after touching. Does this extend to all roaches?
Yup! Roaches are my favorite insects, so I'd hate to be allergic to them. I tend to be fairly resistant to allergens anyway, so hopefully I don't end up allergic to my pets!Well let me say this, when I had hissers, I actually developed an allergy to them. When I looked into their cage I'd get a little congested, and when I handled them I'd get blisters where their spikes had touched my skin. The same thing would happen when other large roaches touched me too, however I got no reactions from small roaches at all.
I got rid of my hissers a little while ago, and yesterday I noticed while holding my Byrsotria fumigata, that I wasn't getting any sort of reaction whatsoever. I don't know if it was just the hissers making my skin react to any other large roach, or if my allergy just went away, but I seem to be able to hold large roaches with no problems now.
So yeah, hissers in particular seem to give the worst reactions, however I'm not saying other roaches don't give reactions either. I knew someone who became extremely allergic to her Therea and Polyphaga colonies, and had to give them away. I think all roaches have allergens, however the same goes for everything else too, food, clothing, plants, etc., so I wouldn't worry too much about it, just enjoy the hobby as much as you can, and if you do develop an allergy, then try holding the roaches less to avoid exposure to them, and always wash your hands after doing cage maintenance, (I would do that regardless of allergens anyway lol).