RL Milli Babies Arrive!

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Almost as soon as we got our millis home a couple of months ago they started to mate and lay eggs. We posted a full description and later some pics:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=80549&highlight=tanzanian

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=82747&highlight=tanzanian

Today, when Linda was refilling the millis' food dish, she discovered BABIES!!!! {D {D {D {D We have no idea how many are in there yet, she has only seen two at a time so far. I had been told to leave everything alone until babies appeared, but I am not sure what to do now. Do the young millis need any special care? Also, I know many of you out there have expressed interest in getting some of these babies when they arrived... I will post again if and when any will be for sale/trade. Also, you can see how cute these little guys are, they will be quite hard to part with.

Attachments

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congratulations! If these become available I'm definitely interested, any idea how many babies yet. I can't wait for babies from my AGBs, they mated soon after putting them together.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm in! I also think the OSU Bug Zoo would love some of those. I'm still waiting on my AGB babies.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Do the young millis need any special care?
The most important thing is to MAKE SURE THERE IS FOOD AT ALL TIMES. Spread it out in a layer across the entire cage. Baby millis can't travel as far for food and can't go as long without it. Leave them in the same tank as the parents at least until they gain some color. Oh, and definately watch for mold on the food depending on what you are feeding them. I have seen babies get stuck in the fluffy type of mold before.

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We've now managed to spot five of them at one time. I'm guessing there are many more then that hiding out in the soil. Hopefully they will fill up and grow on the oak leaves, soil, and rotten wood chips that make up the substrate. Is there any information out there on millipede growth rates?

-trygon

LadyNai

Arachnopeon
How darling!

I'm interested as well if you put them up for sale/trade.

Nai (looking at an AG at Petco today)

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leave the food in yes, but also cover it with fresh subsrtate. The baby millies eat it from underneath any how, you should not see them until they are months old, they do not venture out for some time in the light.

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
feeding etc.

We have added a good load of apple and cucumber and spread it out across the top layers of substrate. Things are getting pretty messy though. Should we be worried about the rot and mold or just let things go a bit in the interest of feeding the babies. As I said before... there is lots of old wood and oak leaves mixed in with moist soil... will this alone not be enough to grow these little millis out?
Also, with adition of this new food, it has become apparent that there are loads of little white worms in the substrate (nematoeds or something). They gather in groups under the food. Can these worms be harmful? They have always been present but I am a little concerned with the sheer numbers I am seeing now.

Thanks for any help,,
-trygon

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
.. will this alone not be enough to grow these little millis out?
Also, with adition of this new food, it has become apparent that there are loads of little white worms in the substrate (nematoeds or something). They gather in groups under the food. Can these worms be harmful? They have always been present but I am a little concerned with the sheer numbers I am seeing now.

Thanks for any help,,
-trygon
Just bury the food like JM said. they will be fine. Don't worry about the little white mites on the food. Can't say if the fruit is necessary over the leaves, but I would recommend it. It is much softer and easier to chew. The babies will love it and the more food, the more babies that will survive.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mold is not usually a problem with millipedes, in fact millipedes may even eat some types.

Nematodes can cause problems however, in that they can out compete the babies for available resources. Earthworms can do this as well. Keeping the substare organicaly rich is likely your best course of action.

What exactly do the creatures look like? Are they definately worms, or could they be springtails? Springtails are minute arthropods with elongate bodies that are extremely common in moist soild and on decaying leaves, wood etc. These are harmless to millipedes.

Wade

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What exactly do the creatures look like? Are they definately worms, or could they be springtails? Springtails are minute arthropods with elongate bodies that are extremely common in moist soild and on decaying leaves, wood etc. These are harmless to millipedes.

Wade
They are definately worms and not springtails or any other arthropod. Small, white, stringy, and not obviousley segmented. They remind me most of the nematoeds I have had the displeasure of dealing with in regards to tropical fish. They seem to be playing a scavenging role so far... but I know many nematoeds and their relations can be parasitic so it makes me a bit nervous to see so many of them.

trygon

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It might not be a bad idea to try to set up a new tank with heat-treated substrate and move the millis to it. I've never had the problem myself, but in the millipede book available here www.elytraandantenna.com I read that babies will lierally sarve to death in a tank infested with nematodes and have since always cooked the substrate.

Wade

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
--- a note in responce to the many inquiries I have recieved in my posts and through PMs regarding the sale or trade of RL milli babies ---

At this point we have no idea how many we have and are surley a long way off from rearing them to a size suitable for shipping... If and when they are ready to go out into the world I will post their availability. If you want, you can PM me about them (as some have already) but it may be a bit premature at this point.
Hopefully things will go well and our little family can help bring this species back into the hobby.

I'll keep you all updated
- trygon