Ripped off

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Welp, I've been suspecting it for months but I'm very confident now.
My very first tarantula, in pleb ignorance, was purchased from backwater reptiles. Yeah yeah I know. I didn't know any better at tge time, it was before I became a member here.
But anyway, I bought a b smithi sling from them I know now that it couldnt have been any more than 3rd instar even though it was sold as 1", oh well no big deal. But as that little bugger grew and grew and molted it began looking an aweful lot like a vagans. Well it turned out that it was a vagans, and not a pure vagans by the look of her.
Have been trying to contact that "dealer" for about 8months and still haven't gotten a response.

So I just hope a couple newer members can take away some knowledge from my mistake here. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE HAND. I've been reading a lot of posts in various forums and such of people getting shipped something completely different than what they bought so I figured i would share my story as an example.
But hey on the brightside I have a mut vagans now, who hasnt wanted one of those /offsarcasm

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
only buy arachnids from arachnid dealers.

its worrying hearing about all these hybrids, makes me concerned for the future.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Forgive me if haven't looked into hybrids, I can see how it would not be desired in the trade as it could "phase out" pure vagans, but what are the differences? How did it come about? A vagans and an albo got along too well or something? Is this due to captive breeding, or are the "mut" vagans found in the wild?

Sorry again for the questions, haven't looked them up, but IMO it's still a T, it can't help who birthed it. Just don't breed it and keep it as a pet. :) if you've no interest in it I'm sure someone would but it

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Forgive me if haven't looked into hybrids, I can see how it would not be desired in the trade as it could "phase out" pure vagans, but what are the differences? How did it come about? A vagans and an albo got along too well or something? Is this due to captive breeding, or are the "mut" vagans found in the wild?

Sorry again for the questions, haven't looked them up, but IMO it's still a T, it can't help who birthed it. Just don't breed it and keep it as a pet. :) if you've no interest in it I'm sure someone would but it
ive never even heard of a vagans hybrid till now, if thats what it really is..

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are no facts presented that would convince me that the OP received a hybrid. A picture would be a great first step.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive never even heard of a vagans hybrid till now.
I've heard of a Vagans/Albopilosum before. I don't understand why people breed two beautiful spiders and make a mutt:banghead:

OP, can you post a pic of your T?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It could just be a similar Brachy, not a B. vagans. Pics would be good although still wouldnt be enough for ID.

Sucks that you never got what you wanted :(

I second what @Venom1080 said, always buy arachnids from commited arachnid dealers.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
only buy arachnids from arachnid dealers.

its worrying hearing about all these hybrids, makes me concerned for the future.
Saw someone have a successful pairing of lividum and aureotibialis the other day..lol.

There are quite a few people who produce hybrids when it comes to reptiles, so I'm sure it will become something we will have to deal with in the T world too.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter

It's from ignorant captive breeding wether it's vagans/albo or vagans/albiceps people just ignorantly thing they have the same species because they look similar and then breed them, or worse they don't care that they are different species and just want to make a quick buck.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Saw someone have a successful pairing of lividum and aureotibialis the other day..lol.

There are quite a few people who produce hybrids when it comes to reptiles, so I'm sure it will become something we will have to deal with in the T world too.
:banghead:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
There are no facts presented that would convince me that the OP received a hybrid. A picture would be a great first step.
I just said I'm sceptical on its purity do to the rarity of pure true vagans, nearly everything floating around is "hobby form"

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
IMG_20160903_094813819.jpg IMG_20160903_094732827.jpg

Here's the young girl. Since people asked for photos, although that wasn't the point, I'm not a new keeper asking for help or advise, I was simply sharing a story as an example to newer keepers. So as too emphasize researching who you're buying from since I've been seeing a lot of posts lately.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep, looks like a vagans. Doesn't necessarily look like a mutt to me, young vagans have a light colored carapace that darkens with age.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That's definitely a B.vagans. I don't see anything that would make me think it's a hybrid though. Looks just like the one I got from a known breeder on here at that size.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Looks a lot like the one I got here, maybe a little more brownish, but mine has that same opaque brown coloring, it's around the same size.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Gennaro? A 100% classic Napoli name, like the Saint. Are you Italian/American, by chance?

- Sorry I'm curious :pompous:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's definitely a vagans, I've had my fair share of this species. As @Olan said, their carapace will darken with age.

Here is a penultimate male:
IMG_0309.JPG

And here is the exact same specimen one molt later when he matured:
IMG_0496.JPG