Ripped off

cold blood

Staff member
not hybrid ones.
And without a dna test, its only speculation that its a hybrid (but it could be)....there are a few other Brachys that do look similar.

And being as they are a drop shipper, the irresponsible seller didn't raise or breed this t, it was bought from elsewhere...so there's no telling that its a hybrid or what species it actually is.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Saw someone have a successful pairing of lividum and aureotibialis the other day..lol.

There are quite a few people who produce hybrids when it comes to reptiles, so I'm sure it will become something we will have to deal with in the T world too.
morons.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
It probably is a hybrid. EulersK's is also probably a hybrid. I'd bet almost all of the ones in the hobby in the States are hybrids. I wouldn't be upset about that, given the state of the species in the US. I would be upset that it isn't a smithi, though. Trenor, yours is probably a mutt too. It's a hobby form vagans. It's all a matter of the degree of dilution.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Welp, I've been suspecting it for months but I'm very confident now.
My very first tarantula, in pleb ignorance, was purchased from backwater reptiles. Yeah yeah I know. I didn't know any better at tge time, it was before I became a member here.
But anyway, I bought a b smithi sling from them I know now that it couldnt have been any more than 3rd instar even though it was sold as 1", oh well no big deal. But as that little bugger grew and grew and molted it began looking an aweful lot like a vagans. Well it turned out that it was a vagans, and not a pure vagans by the look of her.
Have been trying to contact that "dealer" for about 8months and still haven't gotten a response.

So I just hope a couple newer members can take away some knowledge from my mistake here. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE HAND. I've been reading a lot of posts in various forums and such of people getting shipped something completely different than what they bought so I figured i would share my story as an example.
But hey on the brightside I have a mut vagans now, who hasnt wanted one of those /offsarcasm
If you paid electronically, you can file for fraud to get your money back. I have done that in the herp world. I would do that if I was you. I bet if some random new person contacts Slackwater for a purchase they get an instant response.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Trenor, yours is probably a mutt too.
Lies! Mine is every bit a real B.vagans. I had to cover the screen before he could read the slander you wrote. :p

I'm ok with that. He is a nice looking tarantula and to be honest there are most likely lot of non-pure tarantulas out there. However, getting a B.vagans when you should have got a B.smithi is pretty weak.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
He is a nice looking tarantula and to be honest there are most likely lot of non-pure tarantulas out there.
Agreed. I think it's more wide spread than what many of us would believe. Think about it - would a 75% B. vagans look that much different than a 100%? Not to mention further dilutions, 75% would be just the offspring of a pureblood and a 50-50 hybrid.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have an adult female that had a lighter carapace that just turned black with the last moult. She is 2 years old and 5.5".

Before
View media item 33834View media item 34313View media item 34396After
View media item 34911

Here is my penultimate male that has stretched from 4cm to 10cm from April to a few days ago.
image.jpeg

Here are couple of my juveniles
View media item 34769View media item 34651
Got huge love for vagans. It's a shame that such a good species is very underrated :(

Anyways. I agree that as you paid electronically and not with cash, you can persue a case and get your money back. Dealers make mistakes, but when it comes to such a cheap T being sold as one much pricier then its worth kicking up some fuss.

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
@KezyGLA those are much darker than the ones commonly seen here in the US. I have had a few, and only one has had the black carapace they're supposed to. I still have him. He's a subadult male, but he's got some weird problem so I won't be breeding him when he's mature. I have to say, the hybrids can be quite beautiful with their rose gold carapaces.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here is a recent photo of my male. He is about 3.5ish inches right now. I'll be rehousing him tomorrow if things go as planned.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Beautiful picture, as always. He grew like a little weed!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@KezyGLA those are much darker than the ones commonly seen here in the US. I have had a few, and only one has had the black carapace they're supposed to. I still have him. He's a subadult male, but he's got some weird problem so I won't be breeding him when he's mature. I have to say, the hybrids can be quite beautiful with their rose gold carapaces.
Its so frustrating seeing hybrids appear. I wish people with the intent to breed would know the difference between Brachypelma vagans/kahlenbergi/albiceps/sabulosum/epicureanum/verdezi.

All these ignorant breeders need to do now is throw in some similar Aphonos and you've got yourself an irreversible problem :banghead:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Beautiful picture, as always. He grew like a little weed!
Thanks, he has been growing pretty quickly. I'm going to be picking up a few more next chance I get. I'd love to have a female with those cherry red colors. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Here is a recent photo of my male. He is about 3.5ish inches right now. I'll be rehousing him tomorrow if things go as planned.
Wow nice specimen. I see what you mean @Thistles

I have never had a vagans with a carapace that bright unless it was a sling/grown on.

Both @Trenor and @EulersK 's specimens look very similar.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Wow nice specimen. I see what you mean @Thistles

I have never had a vagans with a carapace that bright unless it was a sling/grown on.

Both @Trenor and @EulersK 's specimens look very similar.
It was much lighter till the last molt or so. It's legs were very light colored as well. I'm expecting it to darken a lot more so we'll see how it goes.

cold blood

Staff member
I got this girl as a speck a few years ago, ever since she had her adult colors at maybe 1.5" her carapace has been jet black. She's just under 4" here. Resized_20160903_212008.jpg

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Gennaro? A 100% classic Napoli name, like the Saint. Are you Italian/American, by chance?

- Sorry I'm curious :pompous:
ethnically im majoratively italian but no, my family has been here since my great grandmother (her name was Rose America Petruzi :D)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
It probably is a hybrid. EulersK's is also probably a hybrid. I'd bet almost all of the ones in the hobby in the States are hybrids. I wouldn't be upset about that, given the state of the species in the US. I would be upset that it isn't a smithi, though. Trenor, yours is probably a mutt too. It's a hobby form vagans. It's all a matter of the degree of dilution.
that was the point as to why i was saying it was almost certainly not a pure vagans, not becasue it specifically looks like a mut but since pure vagans are basically nonexistent.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
If you paid electronically, you can file for fraud to get your money back. I have done that in the herp world. I would do that if I was you. I bet if some random new person contacts Slackwater for a purchase they get an instant response.
thats what ill most likely end up doing, i paid through paypal with all the original documentation archived in my email.