RIP my beautiful Acanthophrynus coronatus

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Well, we share our arachnid joys here, and sometimes there is arachnid sadness. My Acanthophrynus coronatus "Corona", born in late 2018, passed away this weekend after stabbing herself on one of her own pedipalp spines during a moult. I was able to extract her gently from the exuvium, but it was too late as she had lost too much haemolymph. There's no going back from this kind of injury, unfortunately. I pinned her final moult so I'll have something to remember her by.

IMG_5577.jpg IMG_5578.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry friend for your loss 🥺 looked like a lovely individual! Unfortunately there’s just nothing you can do sometimes.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
saw this on insta earlier... heartbreaking 😭
I sobbed the whole time I was pinning her moult, and my poor mom (you can see her in the background of the second photo) was just sitting there on my sofa, no idea what to do about her crazy 45-year-old daughter weeping over a "creepy crawly" all Mother's Day morning :lol: :bigtears:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
how big was it when it died and what was the enclosure like?

sucks to lose any pet :/

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
how big was it when it died and what was the enclosure like?

sucks to lose any pet :/
Not really looking for advice - it wasn't a problem with the enclosure, just bad luck. I suspect her abdomen detached prematurely and she swung onto her own spikes.
Her body length was something just shy of 1.5", whip span pre-moult was around 13-14". She still had plenty of growing to do :sad:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Not really looking for advice - it wasn't a problem with the enclosure, just bad luck. I suspect her abdomen detached prematurely and she swung onto her own spikes.
Her body length was something just shy of 1.5", whip span pre-moult was around 13-14". She still had plenty of growing to do :sad:
nono its not for advice, i just want to see for reference for a future enclosure

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
nono its not for advice, i just want to see for reference for a future enclosure
Gotcha. My setup is in a thread in the enclosures subforum titled something like “I spent way too much money building an amblypygi enclosure”. If I get another of this species I might replace the ceiling foam with styrofoam in case this denser foam is why she chose to moult vertically instead of on the ceiling, but if her abdomen slipped as I suspect she might simply have fallen to her death from the ceiling instead of spearing herself.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how gutting this must be, she was really a phenomenal and beautiful animal. I’m glad you were able to preserve her molt, the mounting is wonderful.