RIP lil' one :(

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Joined
Oct 31, 2016
Messages
39
This actually happened a couple days ago but didn't really feel up to posting about it until now. Maybe it's silly to be upset since I know this things happen but...

So the super tiny sling I was talking about here died (H. sp "Colombia", maybe1/8th of an inch, if that) . I don't /actually know what happened. I was checking to move it to a smaller vial and found it on top of the substrate twitching. I don't know how else to describe it. It was just twitching all its legs and otherwise not moving.

Carefully, I moved it onto some damp paper towel and kept it warm since I know this species is big on humidity, but this little one didn't make it.

What makes it worse is that I LITERALLY do not know what happened to it. :(

(All the other slings I got from this box are fine, including the one who lost a leg when I moved it -- it was an accident and totally my fault, but the sling is fine.)
 

Kendricks

Arachnosquire
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
148
This actually happened a couple days ago but didn't really feel up to posting about it until now. Maybe it's silly to be upset since I know this things happen but...
Not silly at all, how so? A living creature you cared for died. Of course that's upsetting.
"Just a spider" doesn't cut it for me. It's also not "just a cat"... Ok to some people it is, but these people usually are empathetic like a rock so...
 

tAngents

Arachnopeon
Joined
Jan 29, 2017
Messages
7
Sorry to hear. I know it's tough. I've had a couple little critters perish on me in the past for no reason that I could really figure out. It's always tough.
 

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
2,208
I have trouble keeping this species at this size, at least 3 died on me. Sorry for your loss man.
 

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Messages
171
Sorry for your loss. And no it's not wrong to feel bad, just don't blame yourself. I have a new to me 2 1/2 inch A. avic that just molted last week. One leg appears to have molted badly for reasons unknown. I feel bad for the T, but realize it wasn't my doing.
 

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Joined
Jan 12, 2016
Messages
3,610
You're not silly for caring about your animals.
The twitching could mean it was stuck in a molt, in which case you couldn't have done anything to help it.
Good to read the others are doing well. :)
 
Top