Riker mounts

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. i have a couple friends that want a T molt. Actually, i can hardly believe it!!! :eek: Anyway, i just wanted something to put them in and from searching the boards i'm thinking individual Riker mounts will probably work best so the exo's are protected. i found a million sources to buy them online for what seems like reasonable prices. However, i was just looking to pick up a couple at first and was wondering if there might be a store i could just walk in and buy a couple. i haven't seen anything like them at the craft stores by my house. i've tried searching online for regular stores but no luck. Any suggestions?

i'd actually prefer small acrylic boxes but all the types i keep my T's in (cubes) are too deep. Any ideas other than Riker mounts?

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would still use the display boxes from the container store. They have some really shallow ones at the location by me. I have thought about using these since they are smaller than little deli/condiment cups. Easily stackable, and various sizes. A drop of superglue on each toe would secure it nicely in the box, and since they are meant for display purposes anyway, they look really nice in there compared to semi-transparent deli cups. Maybe just a moist napkin or shredded cotton ball in there to keep things from moving, and drying out enough to break or fall apart in transit. What size molts are you sending them?

I might pick up some of the small ones for my tiny molts...I'll post a pic when I get a couple in and secure. Of course, I wont be shipping any...but it should still work just as well...in theory...lol.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
since the only thing I see is you are from southern California, no help. I would also search hobby stories the usually have them. Also comic book stores, yes I know, but they have, oh what is the politically correct term. Action figures? They have boxes for toys.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe just a moist napkin or shredded cotton ball in there to keep things from moving, and drying out enough to break or fall apart in transit. What size molts are you sending them?

I might pick up some of the small ones for my tiny molts...I'll post a pic when I get a couple in and secure. Of course, I wont be shipping any...but it should still work just as well...in theory...lol.

Oops... i probably didn't write my post very well. i am not shipping the molts. Just looking for something good to protect them while displayed. i have used the very short acrylic boxes for very, very small molts but couldn't find anything similar in proportion for larger molts (~6"). i like the acrylic boxes because the underside is still visable. i just don't like the look of something very flat displayed in a tall box. Yeah, yeah... i'm OCD!! {D

since the only thing I see is you are from southern California, no help.
i'm located in Orange County! :D

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh okay...

Yeah I was wondering about what size you were talking about. At that size (6")...I am not too sure. I was thinking this is a good alternative too...but only up to 100mm in diameter that I can find so far. If you find anything else...let me know. Scroll towards the bottom and you will see them.

Item # 48119W2 100mm x 15mm Petri Dishes.

http://www.schoolmasters.com/science8.html

They also have awesome acrylic tanks, and other containers for slings.

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend riker mounts unless you took the cotton out of it. The shed skins are very fragile (even more fragile than the insects that riker mounts are designed for) and once you put the lid down I can almost guarantee the skins being crushed. Most Michael's Crafts carry a variety of both riker mounts and shadowboxes and they usually run sales once or twice a month taking as much as 50% off of them!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hit up a craft store and get a shadow box. You can track one Ts molts, or get smaller ones for individual molts.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heck, make your own

I have shadow boxes much the same as talkenlate04, except I made mine. All you need is hammer, nails, elmers wood glue (creates a seal between pieces of wood to help keep out museum pests), a platic miter saw box and saw, some wood, glass and white ceiling tile (used for bottom of box). I get some 1/4 inch plywood for the inner frame, cut the height smaller than the frame to allow for the glass and tile, well... it's pretty easy to do and looks nice. I also have large display cases with hinges to swing the front panel open and closed, with a magnet to keep it closed.