Riddle Me This!... (Now A Real Contest!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Riddle Me This!

Originally posted by Joy

P.S. Thanks to John for making this eggsac a success :)
Awesome Joy! Wow, what a lump of instars you got there. I already feel sorry for your back after you separate all those.
My guess...398.
Um, I wouldn't be the "John" you're speaking of, would I? I see you used paper towel, good choice :)
This is what the hobby is all about. Great work!
Joy, regarding C. campestratus, was there a genus change there? I don't know.
I'd like to hear some details on the time frame between the mating and eggsac construction, to eclosion (if known) to 1st instar. I know I'm a pain in the butt.
john

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: Riddle Me This!

Originally posted by LaRiz
Awesome Joy! Wow, what a lump of instars you got there. I already feel sorry for your back after you separate all those.
My guess...398.
Um, I wouldn't be the "John" you're speaking of, would I? I see you used paper towel, good choice :)
This is what the hobby is all about. Great work!
Joy, regarding C. campestratus, was there a genus change there? I don't know.
I'd like to hear some details on the time frame between the mating and eggsac construction, to eclosion (if known) to 1st instar. I know I'm a pain in the butt.
john
Yes, John, I did mean you, as witness the paper towel :) Thanks again. I would be more than happy to give you the details, to wit:

I purchased the spider at a reptile show 6/10/02 as a CB female.

The spider made an eggsac on 8/20/02. Seeing it was supposedly captive bred, I deduced it must either be infertile or a case of Immaculate Conception.

I left the eggsac with the mother until 10/15/02, at which point I felt something should have happened to prove either #1 or #2 hypothesis. I opened it and found seemingly millions of live first instars. Clearly a miracle!

I incubated the 1st instars at approximately 72 degrees F. They started molting into 2nd instars 11/27/02. Even at this relatively low temp I thought this was slow development, especially considering the eggsac had previously been with the mother nearly two months at somewhat warmer temps. It only took the albos 2 months to go from eggsac to 2nd instar; these guys took more than 3 months.

Oh, and in regard to C. campestratus, yes, there was a genus change, which I single-handedly brought forth by mistakenly hitting the "C" rather than the "E" on my keyboard =D

Joy

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
369! Yah I just had to throw in good old 69 somewhere.... so what? lol

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
a shit load

I am going to go with "a crapload"

hugs-
looseyfur:8o

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Riddle Me This!

Originally posted by Joy
Yes, John, I did mean you, as witness the paper towel :) Thanks again.
Joy
Well, shucks, Joy. Really, my incubation techniques are nothing new and unheard of. There's nothing really to it. I take no credit. It was all you.
Any unfertiles or failures to develop? How many, if any?
Thanks for the particulars. I like to hear about everyone's experiences with breeding and eggsac rearing. It's interesting to hear about the different timelines of development and differences between all the disciplines (Arboreal, Terrestrial, Old World, New World, Old World Arboreal, etc.).
john

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm also curious to know whether the winner gets a free E campestratus sling?! <wink>

Status
Not open for further replies.