Ricoh WG-50 - any good for T pics?

loracarol

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking about buying the Ricoh WG-50 based on this website's recommendation. I know that a DSLR + appropriate lenses would technically be better, but I don't have the funds, and I'm really just looking for something to take pics of my slings/Ts (and maybe my cat tbh). Has anyone used this camera before? Is it any good? Would it be good for sling pics? I know it won't work as well as one of the nicer ones, but I'm on a budget lol, and it's this camera or a macro lens for my phone. :rofl:

I tried searching for this camera in the toolbar, but I kept coming across other Ricohs/the "WG-50" was cut because it was too common. If there is a thread somewhere that discusses it, I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you for your time. :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
As I understand things, most people who buy cameras like that just want snap shots. You have no adjustments available manually, only a series of digital presets, and, as you can tell on that web page, poor depth of field typical of a fixed focus lens. Look at the picture of the five flowers. The lowermost flower, less than an inch behind the others, is out of focus.

Last edited:

loracarol

Arachnopeon
As I understand things, most people who buy cameras like that just want snap shots. You have no adjustments available manually, only a series of digital presets, and, as you can tell on that web page, poor depth of field typical of a fixed focus lens. Look at the picture of the five flowers. The lowermost flower, less than an inch behind the others, is out of focus.
I'm really sorry, I'm not super camera literate. I don't mind just the snapshots - like I said, I'd mostly be taking pictures of my Ts/maybe some outdoor pics, but I'm not super interested in going further then a hobby right now. Maybe at a later date if I can afford a nicer camera, but for now I'm just looking for something better then my phone. |D

Would the lower depth of field mean I could only get the tarantula in shot, not the background?

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to cameras and photography. But from what I've read:
-Beware sales pitches. Cameras that look really fancy attractive.
-Is it a quality camera with a manufacturer solidly standing behind it or something tossed out for bid to a few hundred questionable parts manufacturers and slopped together?
-Always comparison shop. Cameras are a very competitive market. The cutting edge of a few months ago can often be found on sale at half price, supplanted by a newer model.
-Never go by super pretty photographs that are part of sales pitches. They are likely taken by pro photographers possibly using different cameras.
-Match what you want from a camera to the camera capabilities. Many people try to do that the other way around -> It can do this! That's almost exactly what I want! And this, I can compensate. I don't need that but I guess it's nice to have....

loracarol

Arachnopeon
I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to cameras and photography. But from what I've read:
-Beware sales pitches. Cameras that look really fancy attractive.
-Is it a quality camera with a manufacturer solidly standing behind it or something tossed out for bid to a few hundred questionable parts manufacturers and slopped together?
-Always comparison shop. Cameras are a very competitive market. The cutting edge of a few months ago can often be found on sale at half price, supplanted by a newer model.
-Never go by super pretty photographs that are part of sales pitches. They are likely taken by pro photographers possibly using different cameras.
-Match what you want from a camera to the camera capabilities. Many people try to do that the other way around -> It can do this! That's almost exactly what I want! And this, I can compensate. I don't need that but I guess it's nice to have....
Thank you! I ended up finding this camera by searching macro cameras, so supposedly it works for that. |D I've been looking into it more, but so many people (rightly, probably) recommend DSLR set ups, or other really expensive cameras. I wouldn't mind getting one of those if I could find a legit second hand product, but even when I found a legit website, they were so expensive. -_-;;

Thanks for the tips!

The Snark

Old Timer
so many people (rightly, probably) recommend DSLR set ups, or other really expensive cameras. I wouldn't mind getting one of those if I could find a legit second hand product, but even when I found a legit website, they were so expensive. -_-;;
Get in touch with local photographers or find forums. Zillions of camera fanatics out there and many are always shopping for cameras and gadgets. Best possible resource not to mention plenty of help getting the camera that best suites your needs at affordable prices. Additionally, there are tons of used cameras out there for sale and you REALLY REALLY want an expert that knows what to look for.

Perfect example: we shopped for ages before buying a DSLR. It was an okay camera but 2 months later a newer model came out and the one we bought was being sold for 1/2 the price. Then after two years owning the camera and putting up with various minor problems an expert checked it out. In 10 seconds he spotted our camera had a factory second lens. A flaw in the glass. Then he gave us a 2 minute lecture on proper power for the camera that we never knew and eliminated all the minor problems. TALK TO THE EXPERTS!

loracarol

Arachnopeon
Get in touch with local photographers or find forums. Zillions of camera fanatics out there and many are always shopping for cameras and gadgets. Best possible resource not to mention plenty of help getting the camera that best suites your needs at affordable prices. Additionally, there are tons of used cameras out there for sale and you REALLY REALLY want an expert that knows what to look for.

Perfect example: we shopped for ages before buying a DSLR. It was an okay camera but 2 months later a newer model came out and the one we bought was being sold for 1/2 the price. Then after two years owning the camera and putting up with various minor problems an expert checked it out. In 10 seconds he spotted our camera had a factory second lens. A flaw in the glass. Then he gave us a 2 minute lecture on proper power for the camera that we never knew and eliminated all the minor problems. TALK TO THE EXPERTS!
I've been poking around some forums, this is just one of them. ;)

Yeah, that's one of the fears I have about buying a used camera; I don't know enough about cameras, or frankly mechanical stuff in general to know if I buy something good, bad-but-fixable, or bad-don't-even-bother-trying.

Unfortunately with everything going on right now, I'm not sure if taking the camera in to someone would be a great idea. :( That's part of the other reason I'm looking for something inexpensive enough that I can afford new; at least for now, so I don't have to go out and interact with someone under the circumstances. :anxious:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been poking around some forums, this is just one of them. ;)

Yeah, that's one of the fears I have about buying a used camera; I don't know enough about cameras, or frankly mechanical stuff in general to know if I buy something good, bad-but-fixable, or bad-don't-even-bother-trying.

Unfortunately with everything going on right now, I'm not sure if taking the camera in to someone would be a great idea. :( That's part of the other reason I'm looking for something inexpensive enough that I can afford new; at least for now, so I don't have to go out and interact with someone under the circumstances. :anxious:
Check out lensrentals dot com, great way to try before you buy

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you, I'll look into them. :)
There are other similar sites too. Lens is the most well known. I know several people who have used them- quite reputable

Also go over to dpreview and ask your question- better results