Ribbon Snakes

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently purchases a 12" Ribbon snake.(I wanted a Ball but my G.F. Thinks mice or rats are to cute to feed to a snake.)She even made a fuss over frozen thawed. My question is what does it need to eat. Super pet guy said to feed it crickets,but it doesnt seem interested. most feeder fish I have seen appear large for such a small snake. Even earth worms from the local bait shop seem large to me. Any advice?
Thanks Jason

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They should be eating minnows and crickets. Believe me, they can eat those fish if they wanted to. Just drop one into the water bowl and they'll eat when hungry. We feed ours twice a week.

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember reading somewhere that gold fish are not good for the snake. I finally found something it would eat. Feeder guppies! He just ate 5. Is it possible to over feed? Is a steady diet of feeder guppies healthy for the snake? Has refused eathworms,crickets and small mealworms.
Thanks Jason

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is it possible to over feed?
Absolutely, snakes can become obese like any other animal, though I don't know the recommended diet for non-rodent-eaters.

The problem with feeder fish (not just goldfish but any fish) is that they are frequently kept in frightfully unsanitary conditions, with poor filtration, etc. Thus they build up potentially unhealthy levels of toxins in their bodies, which the predator then consumes. And if they consume enough of the fish, that adds up.

Goldfish are just worse in this because they are so tough they can survive bad conditions for a LONG time, and because they produce so much toxic ammonia and other wastes themselves (more than most other fish species), so a petshop feeder goldfish can potentially be pretty nasty.

It might be cheaper for you and healthier for the snake to research breeding your own feeder guppies. The initial pet-store guppies might be gross, but their offspring and their offspring etc should be fine, provided you're good about the tank.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
or just shell out the extra $2 or so for a pair of fancer guppies they are kept in more sanitary conditions(more than feeders) and their really pretty so you can enjoy watching them. Congrats on the snake watch out thought ribbons are great at escaping

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just go to a bait shop and get med to large minnows or goldfish and put the extra in an aquarium or the 55 gal rainwater barrel outside for later. I throw them in the water bowl or just throw them in flopping around. It really gets their attention. I just gave one a baby toad I came across today. I grabbed a watersnake that had pectoral and dorsal catfish spikes sticking out of the snake's skin years ago. Kind of off topic but that's what the thread made me think about.