Rhinoceros Katydid Hatch (Copiphora rhinoceros)

MWAInverts

Arachnoknight
Beautiful species! Love the single horn, the translucent green, and the patterns :) Those mandibles! Ouch lol. I'll be watching this thread for developments, these guys are pretty cool.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I haaave forgotten to update this thread. For a real long time!
We experienced hardships with the subadult females, who would spread their wing-buds and hold the molting position and then simply fail to shed. Every one of them passed away that way. Some of them showed darkening of the extremities and core which might indicate an infection, but we weren't able to figure out what was killing them. The males (of which there were many, about 3x as many actually) have thrived, living as adults for four-five months (and possibly longer, I'm not with them now and I don't know how many are still kicking!). We received some adult females and have taken another go at it, though.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I haaave forgotten to update this thread. For a real long time!
We experienced hardships with the subadult females, who would spread their wing-buds and hold the molting position and then simply fail to shed. Every one of them passed away that way. Some of them showed darkening of the extremities and core which might indicate an infection, but we weren't able to figure out what was killing them. The males (of which there were many, about 3x as many actually) have thrived, living as adults for four-five months (and possibly longer, I'm not with them now and I don't know how many are still kicking!). We received some adult females and have taken another go at it, though.
Huh, thats weird, sorry to hear that. :( I hope the next attempt goes better, curious how all the females died but the males thrived....

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I really don't know! It was heartbreaking to watch, one after the other...
I'll see them all again in about a month, though. Don't worry kids, daddy's on the way!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ah that's a shame that they all died off. Good to hear that another attempt is coming though! :)

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Just wanted to update here that the last male of that generation has died, for an adult lifespan of about 10 months. He was singing until late October too.

We are raising 30 or so more nymphs currently.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Just wanted to update here that the last male of that generation has died, for an adult lifespan of about 10 months. He was singing until late October too.

We are raising 30 or so more nymphs currently.
Wow, that's a pretty long lifespan, sorry to hear he passed.

Awesome, hope this batch of nymphs does better than the last, keep us posted! :D

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I would love to try some of these ..... if ..... you ever have any CB's in the future :happy:

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Okay I'm aware this is an old thread, but I'd ve very interested to know if the attempt at culturing continued. I can see OP was around last year, and maybe they get email notifications of thread activity. It wasn't clear if these were kept as a colony or solo, but I find them really curious creatures and have an opportunity to get some.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Could anyone inform me of the difference between a Katydid, grasshopper and cricket?
Not sure this is super helpful, but from what I've seen crickets and Katydids have longer antennae (longer than body), are omnivorous and tend to show at dusk and nighttime, and make their noises with their forelimbs rubbing together whilst grasshoppers rub these against their back legs (if im remembering correctly). They also are herbivores and tend to be seen in the daytime, as well as having more strong seeming legs. I think their order splits into two suborders which cover the katydids and crickets on one hand, and grasshoppers and locusts on the other (seemingly the key difference there is that in small numbers, like grasshoppers, locusts behave as individuals, but once there are large numbers they instead swarm/'plague').

For katydids and crickets the main difference seems to be how the hind legs protrude from the body.