Rhinoceros Katydid Hatch (Copiphora rhinoceros)

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Our first nymph hatched after approximately 4 months incubation! It is already feeding on a pre-killed roach!
image.jpg

The father is still kicking, too.
image.jpg

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Omg, I need some! I hope you can get these established in the hobby! Congrats on the eggs hatching btw!

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah yes, the mystical Unicornydid, ...never heard of it. I wonder what the horn is for. Are they only carnivorous?

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
They are from the Audobon Insectarium in New Orleans, given to us at the Iowa State Insect Zoo this summer!

I'm currently working on a care manual for all of the animals we have at the ISU Zoo, and these guys are included. Overjoyed to have them hatch on our first try! We have only four nymphs so far; the eggs were mostly laid singly and it wouldn't be out of the question that they are "programmed" to hatch in intervals. There's a lot of knowledge left to be discovered!

Care is much like that of a rainforest mantid: a tall, well-ventilated, and quite humid enclosure with mesh and branches to climb on. They are omnivores and can be fed a lot like Neobarrettia, nomming on insects and other animals roughly their size or smaller (or larger...). They also like fruit, and I'm giving them romaine lettuce and carrot. The carrot has been eaten a whole lot more than the lettuce, and as I expected they also go crazy for beetle jelly. I've been feeding the tiny nymphs by crushing a small roach nymph (brownbandeds) and sticking it to the side of the cage where they'll find it... this is just so that the food doesn't get out the slots in the mesh. Once they get larger I'll transition them into live crickets and roaches. They eat snails very frequently in the wild, as well as lizards and all manner of insects.

Our male is still alive, probably around six months old now. He's not eating much live food and I wonder if the female goes after more proteinaceous stuff preferentially. It might also be that he's too old to be producing a spermatophore and spermatophylax and so doesn't need the fuel. This species is relatively calm and I've never seen them throwdefensive or escape behavior as enthusiastic as Neobarrettia... but the bite does hurt, my goodness. I have not seen the horn used at all yet, it might purely be a deterrent to another animal grabbing it or putting it in its mouth. It may also be used against specific types of enemies. Their body seems very capable of thrusting the horn forward to attack.

I'd love to see these and other katydids become more widespread in the hobby, and I'll do my best to get a whole bunch so that they can be distributed to other facilities. From what I understand they're very rare in culture.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thanks for the info, I also hope more katydids and other orthopterans get established in the hobby, they are an underrated group. In the mean time I look forward to seeing more pics of this species, hint hint. ;)

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would be great to see more predatory katydids in the hobby! Congrats on the hatchling and WOW is that male cool looking!

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
If only they could see all the attention they're getting. :p This thread is now their diary, so I'll be posting updates as they grow and things happen.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow...yeah very awesome beast love the horn.it would be very cool if they were more common and in the hobby:)

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
image.jpg

Some are feeding very well, it's easy to tell because they are translucent and the gut contents can be easily observed right through the abdomen. I have yet to see one attack live prey, but I suspect they have been eating the phorid flies that are attracted to their apple slices. They also have been seen eating romaine lettuce.

I'm trying them on 1st instar Vietnamese Walkingsticks (Medauroidea extradentata) and chopped superworms as well as the brown-banded roaches and flies. A few of them liked the superworm, but most ignored it.

Enticing them to feed on pre-killed is sometimes difficult and seems suboptimal, but we should be getting Drosophila soon so that might help. Mortality has been relatively low, ~20%, and we have 14 at last count alive.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Cool, I hope more start eating well. Have you tried any dog food? They might like some of that. Also, what did the female lay her eggs in?

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I haven't, but I'll try grinding it up. That's a good idea, always worth a shot!
She laid her eggs in potting soil, about 4-5 cm deep.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
First molt last night at about 10:30 pm! Executed perfectly.
Also, one took a live brownbanded that I injured and dropped in front. Ran right up to it, pinned it, and went to town. image.jpg

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
It's been a while, but these kiddos are still here! A couple of them now look to be pre-subadult. A few of the more interesting developments:

- The nymphs have begun hunting on their own, and have taken Medauroidea extradentata walkingsticks and brownbanded roaches. They continue to refuse fruit, but eat a lot of lettuce and do well with hand-feeding, in which they sometimes pounce swiftly like they would with free-running prey.
- Sometimes hand-feeding means feeding on my hand! A few of them are pretty bloodthirsty.
- A number of them show a dorsal line of bright red spots.
- The sample size is very small, but of the surviving nymphs there are 10 males and 5 females. We are asking our supplier about whether she has observed an imbalanced sex ratio, or if it is just variance.

image.jpg
This shows off the red markings.

image.jpg
Going to town on a walkingstick. This prey item was given by hand.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Good, glad they are still doing well. That sex ratio is not too bad, 5 females should be plenty to keep the culture going. These guys keep getting cooler and cooler as they grow bigger. :D

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
This is a really cool species and probably the first time I've heard of a captive breeding attempt.

I am quite surprised your female laid the eggs in soil, as I have witnessed this species squeezing its sword-like ovipositor into leaf sheaths to lay eggs. Nevertheless, you are doing it right if you got them to hatch.
Like you mentioned their diet is varied, I was wondering if you ever tried to offer them seeds/grains? Conehead katydids are known to use their strong mandibles to supplement their diet with seeds.

Very nice report and keep us updated please!