revision of S. subspinipes complex

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I am currently studying in the UK and as part of my MSc., I am starting a preliminary revision of the S. subspinipes species-complex using molecular and DNA techniques.:wall: I hope that will settle (or complicate a bit more?) the taxonomy of that group. I've seen a lot of different morphs and subspecies of that group but there are certainly some i am unaware of.
If you are aware of any weird morph from a definite location, i'd be more than happy to hear about it! And by the way, do you know any breeder/importer/seller of centipedes in the UK or in western Europe?
:D How lucky i am... full time on my pedes! :D

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well i know that there are about 4 forms of sc.s.mutilans... there are tons of locales for sc.subspinipes subspinipes, tons of sc.s.dehaanis, malaysian cherry reds, tiger legs, american locales of sc.s.subspinipes... I'm pretty sure you can have tons of fun playing in the subspinipes genus :p.

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
this might be of interest to you

2004. Occurrences of the centipedes Scolopendra subspinpes Leach and S. morsitans L. on Pacific islands. (Chilopoda: Scolopendromorpha: Scolopendridae). Entomological News. 115(2):95–100.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I am currently studying in the UK and as part of my MSc., I am starting a preliminary revision of the S. subspinipes species-complex using molecular and DNA techniques.:wall: I hope that will settle (or complicate a bit more?) the taxonomy of that group. I've seen a lot of different morphs and subspecies of that group but there are certainly some i am unaware of.
If you are aware of any weird morph from a definite location, i'd be more than happy to hear about it! And by the way, do you know any breeder/importer/seller of centipedes in the UK or in western Europe?
:D How lucky i am... full time on my pedes! :D
Can you classify my species of S. subspinipes? If i could go back and do it all over again I would of studied Entomology.

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
Thanx for the paper. I'll get that in the coming days... The literature on the subject is actually very limited. Did you go through the Biology of Centipedes by J.G.E. Lewis (ISBN-13 978 0 521 03411 1)?

cheers!

clockworkorange

Arachnopeon
thanx also for the dealer websites... I will see how i am going to settle that as i need a total of... about 50 specimens to complete the study in good conditions. If I end up with some weird/nice looking animals i'll post a few pics of them.
Slimtim, just post some macro pics of ur centipedes. Someone on the forum will be able to rule out the subspecies. I'll be interested to see it anyway. As for starting it all over again and study entomology...that's exactly what i did! :D

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
taking a trip to shows often yields different variations of subspinipes off various dealers hat attend