Reusing old set up/ enclosure

Hazel

Arachnopeon
I have some questions , I am new to the hobby, say you have a T that has outgrown it's enclosure and you want to reuse it's old enclosure, should you completely clean out the old enclosure, put in fresh substrate etc.? If it's in good condition is there any issues with reusing old substrate? Are the urticating hairs from one species an issue for another species? Thanks

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Hiya Hazel, someone asked this exact question yesterday! I'll give you the same advice I gave them - yes, always best to completely clean out the enclosure using hot water and use new substrate as it's possible the previous T could have harboured mites/parasites. It's a slim chance, but still possible and not worth the risk.

Hazel

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I would prefer to start fresh but unfortunately stores are closed at the moment and I am waiting ages for a delivery of substrate. I am hoping it will get here soon so I can rehouse.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
yeah, start fresh. Dump the old. Thoroughly clean the enclosure and have at it

Hazel

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice. I also had a look on the forums for info. and I am going to wait for the new substrate to arrive. I will keep checking my local pet shop in the meantime.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
When rehousing, always try to take into account the order rung on the ladder of the new occupant. You want to raise a lower order, say go from roaches to bacterium, you can add to what is already there without a care in the world. With higher order, say going from omnivore to predator, what is in the environment more critically will affect the animal. A general rule of thumb taking the natural balance into account.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Just buy substrate from local garden/hardware store....Home Depot carries vermiculite, topsoil, coir, and peat moss.