Reusing Enclosures

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
So I have an old aboreal sling setup, that I don't use anymore, and it still has the decor and things to climb on from the top. (Obviously going to clean it a bit and change the substrate) I want to put my avic sling in it, as I recently figured out it was too big for it's current enclosure. (Not being able to catch it's food/etc.) Also I know avics move less and get stressed out when there is less hiding spaces, and I do have a good amount of cover, but they all usually just sit around in their web tunnel with their legs sticking out. I heard they roam when there is plenty of leaves/cover? Anyways, main point, using an old enclosure, that another T has already been in, will a new T being introduced notice/mind webbing of the last T. And not like big strands of web,(because I would have cleaned that out) but more of those stray webs T's leave behind to have more grip. Also what about hairs, they leave around their home. I'm just thinking the new T would think that this area is already habited by another T, and it would be anxious and uncomfortable. Any thoughts?

user 666

Arachnobaron
I usually strip an enclosure and rebuild it. I do reuse almost everything, but I also strip off the webbing just so it looks cleaner to my eyes.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm just thinking the new T would think that this area is already habited by another T, and it would be anxious and uncomfortable. Any thoughts?
thats generally my thought as well. i reuse pretty much all of my cages. i wipe them down with a wet rag to remove webbing and poop on the sides. decor i usually wash off in the sink to get rid of webs and old substrate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I have an old aboreal sling setup, that I don't use anymore, and it still has the decor and things to climb on from the top. (Obviously going to clean it a bit and change the substrate) I want to put my avic sling in it, as I recently figured out it was too big for it's current enclosure. (Not being able to catch it's food/etc.) Also I know avics move less and get stressed out when there is less hiding spaces, and I do have a good amount of cover, but they all usually just sit around in their web tunnel with their legs sticking out. I heard they roam when there is plenty of leaves/cover? Anyways, main point, using an old enclosure, that another T has already been in, will a new T being introduced notice/mind webbing of the last T. And not like big strands of web,(because I would have cleaned that out) but more of those stray webs T's leave behind to have more grip. Also what about hairs, they leave around their home. I'm just thinking the new T would think that this area is already habited by another T, and it would be anxious and uncomfortable. Any thoughts?

My thought as well, clean it out, do the right thing, not the lazy thing. Would you want to move into a new house filled with the previous owners dirty crap all over??????:cool:

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I always completely clean out enclosures when I reuse them. It helps to foster a healthier T.