reticulated python

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was wondering exactly how to make a homemade large house for an adult reticulated python or red tail boa, and about how costly a house would be, i would want glass on atleast 1 side, i have had 5-6' snakes before but never giants, i would like to know this information before purchasing a reticulated python or red tail hatchlings, and also information and temperement for a reticulated, would be nice, i dont know much about them atm

JohnEDove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A RTB is not really a giant snake but if you really want to provide housing with adequate room try using the following formula based on the size you expect the snake to reach.
Side to side measurement = the snakes length X .75 / front to back measurement = the snakes length X .33 / top to bottom measurement = the snakes length X .75.

In short, if you get a Retic figure, that in about 5 years you will need an enclosure that is at least 13ft X 6ft X the height of the room. That is if you really want to provide it enough room to move around and be comfortable.

For a RTB figure the max length between 7 and 12 feet.

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thank you for the measurements i appreciate it :) i really like giving my pets lots of room

ya i know the RTB isnt that huge but i consider it large enough to need a less expensive custom house at full size, i havnt decided if i want a reticulated or RTB yet

JohnEDove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Go with the RTB unless you have about 4 friends that will be around for the next 20 years to help you handle a 20 ft Retic.

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Go with the RTB unless you have about 4 friends that will be around for the next 20 years to help you handle a 20 ft Retic.
well im not some1 that gets bored of my pets, and i will take care of them for my whole life if i have to, but i think your right RTB is probably the better choice, or wait.. maybe i should get a green anaconda... {D {D {D

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RTB is the most practical choice.

If you're going to get a giant, though, I encourage you to get a female Burmese python that has been collected from the Florida Everglades. I'm not really an advocate for WC exotics, but Burms are such a problem down there that they need to be taken out. Yea, my idea may sound crazy but that is my belief. :)

Tarantula_man94

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know some people who have given reticulated pythons their own rooms!! they are beautiful snakes but you are talking about a snake that gets 20+ft. long. Here in Florida you have to have a liscence to own one. The RTB would definatley be cheaper. Most people have to have home depot install lighting, and caging because pet stores dont have a cage big enough. thats where the cost comes in. I personally would choose the RTB.

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ya great thing about alabama is there arnt many restrictions when it comes to animals

there is a retic hatchling at my local pet shop which has tons of snakes, frogs, scorpions, cheap crickets, roaches, birds, everything... and a huge selection of T's. and everything is cheap as heck..

i love sweet home alabama...

but anyway i have decided to go with a RTB

1truth

Arachnopeon
The biggest cage you will ever need for an adult retic is 8 ft x 3 ft x 18 inches tall.And thats for a female. They dont need room sized enclosures for many reasons. I have 4 retics right now. 2 are in 8 and 6 tanks the others are still juvenile.

1truth

Arachnopeon
Bro if your really into snakes, there is nothing that comes close to a retic. You would be surprised at how smart they are let alone how many color morphs and genetics they posses as well as their ability to show owner recognition.

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What's sad is anyone here can just go to a pet store and buy a Reticulated python for like 200 dollars...some kid not knowing what hes getting his hands on will be in for a big surprise in the long run. Not a snake I would suggest to anyone who isn't very familiar with them. I personally will never get a snake that gets bigger than me :D

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well lets put it this way.. if you havent been locked in a room with a hungry adult female then you realy dont have any buissness owening a retic. there no joke..

you mentioned getting a green anaconda instead but as far as handling is conserned ill take a pissed off anaconda over a pissed off retic anyday.. retics are way more agile. a 8 foot male put someone from prehystoric pets in the ER because he lost so much blood from the bite.

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ya well ppl die all the time driving, and ppl still do it
Well I was trying to show another side to a large snake but what ever.You dont have to be a d*ck about it, damn (Says to self..."some people are just dumb I guess")

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I was trying to show another side to a large snake but what ever.You dont have to be a d*ck about it, damn (Says to self..."some people are just dumb I guess")
im not a serious person bro, i think you took that the wrong way..
im just saying im not scared of snakes, but i apologize

and if i had to choose between a anaconda and a retic i would choose retic cuz i will atleast be able to move him easier (with help)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
im not a serious person bro, i think you took that the wrong way..
im just saying im not scared of snakes, but i apologize

and if i had to choose between a anaconda and a retic i would choose retic cuz i will atleast be able to move him easier (with help)
It's not necessarily being scared, but about being cautious and safe. These snakes are no joke; can and will kill you if provoked/hungry. He was just trying to give you a heads up. I would not get a retic yet, if you want big start with the RTB. They get to a pretty good size, much calmer, and well smaller.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you like Retics, look into the Jampea dwarf or the super dwarf species of retic...they stay much smaller with the Jampea dwarf getting 10 foot (maxing at 12) and the super dwarf maxing out at 6 foot. If someone has a super dwarf that is 8 feet, it's really a jampea dwarf, not a super...I've had a lot of people trying to con me with that...the three are totally different species and once you look into it you can see the difference...Anyway, thought I'd share that tidbit.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you like Retics, look into the Jampea dwarf or the super dwarf species of retic...they stay much smaller with the Jampea dwarf getting 10 foot (maxing at 12) and the super dwarf maxing out at 6 foot. If someone has a super dwarf that is 8 feet, it's really a jampea dwarf, not a super...I've had a lot of people trying to con me with that...the three are totally different species and once you look into it you can see the difference...Anyway, thought I'd share that tidbit.

I second that motion! I've had normal, regular-sized Retics, and these are just too much snake for any one person to deal with. Even if they didn't ever get hungry enough to attack their owners(which they unfortunately can), just cleaning up after one is a chore no one person would want to take on! I literally had to use a shovel, one of those big flat ones you normally see being used on construction sites or farms,that farmers use to shovel horse or cow manure. A big Retic can leave a pile every bit as large as a full-size horse can! A Boa, on the other hand, will max out at 10 feet, which is the largest that I've ever seen or any Boa breeder I've talked with has seen, and that would be a really big female. I've got a Super Dwarf Retic male, which is a proven adult, who is about the same size as a typical Black Rat Snake. Some very knowledgeable Retic breeders I've corresponded with, have tentatively identified him as a Seleyar cross, if not a pure Seleyar, so he's got much nicer markings and coloration than most Super Dwarf Retics, not that they are not attractive. These just give you everything that is great about Retics-the soft silky skin, the iridescence, the colors and patters, the neat-looking eyes, the intelligence(for a snake)-but in a manageable package.

pitbulllady

Red Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
... Even if they didn't ever get hungry enough to attack their owners(which they unfortunately can), just cleaning up after one is a chore no one person would want to take on! I literally had to use a shovel, one of those big flat ones you normally see being used on construction sites or farms,that farmers use to shovel horse or cow manure ...

pitbulllady
LOL when I read what you wrote it reminded me of this caresheet on Red Tail Boas ... "Take a moment.... ...and ask yourself a couple of very important questions such as: do you really want a snake that will get to be 10 feet long, weigh over 50 pounds, urinate and defecate like a St. Bernard, should live more than 30 years and for whom you will have to kill mice, rats and, eventually, small rabbits? ... "
quoted from http://www.anapsid.org/boa.html She also has this to say about Burmese pythons " ... THINK!!!
Do you really want a snake that may grow more than 20 feet long or weigh 200 pounds, urinate and defecate like a horse, will live more than 25 years and for whom you will have to kill mice, rats and, eventually, rabbits ..."
quoted from http://www.anapsid.org/burm.html.