Research. Research. Research.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
Agree 100% If OP lived near me, i would give her a tarantula for free!

Hello missus! I have always blocked of the holes using "Silver tape" we have this in Sweden! Or ductape. Just tape it on the inside of the lid. And you can easily choose how much of the ventilation that should be blocked off, and if you want to change ammount of ventilation, just take it away. Easier than plastic wrapping IMO

For an T albo, you really dont need side holes IMO and IME!
I have had T albo in a KK for years (not at the present but a few years ago) and had absolutely no problems at all. Cover 1/2 of the lid. But i say that side holes are not nessesary for this speicies, but it still needs some moist substrate even if adult. I have never kept them dry. But overflowing the waterdish once in a while is probably enough Hope i made sense?

IMO T albo should be kept slightly moist
Sorry it took me awhile to comment back - busy day today!

I completely forgot about the tape being mentioned too! (I want to say I read it on Tom’s Big Spiders Beginner Enclosure Ideas, but I’m not 100% sure. Might’ve been here).

I like the look of Jamie’s Enclosures, they’re nice. Pricey, but really nice. The more T’s I collect, I’ll probably start using the plastic containers that people drill the holes in. But for my first T ever I really want something that looks nice, is clear and doesn’t cost too terribly much. Out of curiosity, what size KK would you use for a juvie (3-4”) or an adult (5-6”)? I haven’t done too much looking into sling husbandry but those I think a lot of keepers use the deli cups? (I may be wrong on that). And thank you again for your advice and help!

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Sorry it took me awhile to comment back - busy day today!

I completely forgot about the tape being mentioned too! (I want to say I read it on Tom’s Big Spiders Beginner Enclosure Ideas, but I’m not 100% sure. Might’ve been here).

I like the look of Jamie’s Enclosures, they’re nice. Pricey, but really nice. The more T’s I collect, I’ll probably start using the plastic containers that people drill the holes in. But for my first T ever I really want something that looks nice, is clear and doesn’t cost too terribly much. Out of curiosity, what size KK would you use for a juvie (3-4”) or an adult (5-6”)? I haven’t done too much looking into sling husbandry but those I think a lot of keepers use the deli cups? (I may be wrong on that). And thank you again for your advice and help!
If you like Jamie's enclosures, check out dreamco plastics as well, especially if you think you might venture into more moisture-dependent species, as dreamco offers 1/4" thick acrylic (the 1/8" acrylic will warp if exposed to moisture). You can order with screen vents or step up to the much nicer (and safer) laser cut vents. They also do custom orders so if you need different dimensions they've got you covered there too. (Full disclosure I don't yet own any of their enclosures but plan to upgrade to these once I finally finish converting our guest room into my home office/hobby room - I have yet to hear any significant drawbacks other than price)

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
If you like Jamie's enclosures, check out dreamco plastics as well, especially if you think you might venture into more moisture-dependent species, as dreamco offers 1/4" thick acrylic (the 1/8" acrylic will warp if exposed to moisture). You can order with screen vents or step up to the much nicer (and safer) laser cut vents. They also do custom orders so if you need different dimensions they've got you covered there too. (Full disclosure I don't yet own any of their enclosures but plan to upgrade to these once I finally finish converting our guest room into my home office/hobby room - I have yet to hear any significant drawbacks other than price)
I’ll definitely look into those! Thanks!

I really like the first one! (Thanks for the advice and photos!) The magnetic locking is genius! About how many holes would you drill in for your T? (Well T. albopilosum) I’m sure it’s different amounts of holes for different species. I honestly get so confused about the holes lol.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Sorry, I didn’t know if I should make a new post or just ask on this one. I don’t want to clutter the forum with all my new to the hobby questions.

So, I’ve been looking at different enclosures the past couple days (Kritter Keepers, Plastic Containers, Jamie’s Enclosures, so on). If I’m being honest, I really like the Kritter Keepers. I’d eventually love to make my own. But baby steps lol.

Questions:
1.) I’ve read on Tom’s Big Spiders Blog some of the holes in the lids of KK needs to be blocked off, he mentions plastic wrap, but can I do so with hot glue? Purely for aesthetic purposes (I know it should dry really well before adding a spider). I think hot glue (done properly) would look better than plastic wrap or really anything else I can think of off the top of my head.

2.) And roughly how many holes in the lid should be covered? (About 1/2 or 1/3?)

3.)Would a KK still need some holes drilled into the side for cross ventilation instead of all the holes being at the top? (I did read on the beginner notes here to avoid using the handles, or just take them off completely, so I’d probably just remove them).

4.) What size KK should be used for say a 3-4” T. albopilosum? (I know the standard is 2-3x the size of the DLS, but is this something that’s “only do it this way, no other way” or is floor space less important and the substrate to lid ratio being 1.5x the DLS the main concern with larger enclosures?) Looking around I can get a medium, large or X-Large. No matter the size, there WILL be enough substrate to ensure my future T doesn’t have a chance to obtain a fall injury.

Sorry for all the questions you guys! I know it’s a lot and absolutely no rush answering this plethora of questions! As always, a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who takes the time to read/answer all of these beginner questions!
You shouldn’t have to restrict the ventilation on KK lid for any T of that size, even if it’s a moisture dependent species. As for choosing the size of the enclosure, it really boils down to personal preference (IMO)! :)