Rescuing an Avicularia avicularia

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

Back in December 2019 I purchased my first Tarantula, a T. Albo. I absolutely love her as a pet and find great fascination in Tarantulas. I had told myself that I did not want to acquire any Arboreal species this early into having T's as pets. However, while walking through my local PetSmart I noticed an Avic (pink toe) for sale. The T is probably about 2 - 2.5" dls.. but what angered me is that the poor little guy/girl it is in a super small critter keeper enclosure no more than 4" long and 3" high with a soaking wet sponge and a little stem with a few leafs on it. The poor thing looks like it doesn't even have enough room to turn around. I will be rescuing the T if it makes it through the week at the store as I need to purchase items necessary for keeping this species. That being said, what are some tips for keeping the species? I know they are tree dwellers but I just want some tips on what to put in the enclosure.

Thank you all!

- Mike

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone,

Back in December 2019 I purchased my first Tarantula, a T. Albo. I absolutely love her as a pet and find great fascination in Tarantulas. I had told myself that I did not want to acquire any Arboreal species this early into having T's as pets. However, while walking through my local PetSmart I noticed an Avic (pink toe) for sale. The T is probably about 2 - 2.5" dls.. but what angered me is that the poor little guy/girl it is in a super small critter keeper enclosure no more than 4" long and 3" high with a soaking wet sponge and a little stem with a few leafs on it. The poor thing looks like it doesn't even have enough room to turn around. I will be rescuing the T if it makes it through the week at the store as I need to purchase items necessary for keeping this species. That being said, what are some tips for keeping the species? I know they are tree dwellers but I just want some tips on what to put in the enclosure.

Thank you all!

- Mike
Made this enclosure for my versicolor when it reaches around 2inches. Something similar would work for a 2 inch avic. You would then have to do a final re house at some point into an adult enclosure.

Dry substrate, water dish, and lots of anchor points for webbing. Of course the enclosure should be much taller than it is wide. Don't be afraid to get creative!

Attachments

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
Made this enclosure for my versicolor when it reaches around 2inches. Something similar would work for a 2 inch avic. You would then have to do a final re house at some point into an adult enclosure.

Dry substrate, water dish, and lots of anchor points for webbing. Of course the enclosure should be much taller than it is wide. Don't be afraid to get creative!
Thank you for your quick reply and including a pic! I feel terrible for the spider being treated that way at the store.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Read these threads :)

• Avicularia and Caribena (by Venom1080): These are the most beginner-friendly arboreal species, commonly sold as pinktoe tarantulas. These species are less tolerant of newbie mistakes, so we recommend getting feedback on your enclosure beforehand.
  • Avicularia and Caribena (by viper69): More helpful advice. See above.
The most important thing for them is excellent ventilation. Other than that you need a tree-like structure (like a cork slab reaching from top to bottom) with loads of fake foliage surrounding the cork bark at the top, dry substrate and a water dish. :)

:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I had a situation like this come my way but I was seriously concerned about the health of the tarantula, so I ended up passing on the rescue. Buying from them only encourages them to keep buying in new tarantulas that they do not keep well, and are In poor health. It’s a double edged sword rescuing from a big box store.

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
I had a situation like this come my way but I was seriously concerned about the health of the tarantula, so I ended up passing on the rescue. Buying from them only encourages them to keep buying in new tarantulas that they do not keep well, and are In poor health. It’s a double edged sword rescuing from a big box store.
I agree with you completely. It has not been there long and doesn't look sick in any way. But I guess this is me caring for out 8 legged friends. If I go back later this week and if it has not been sold or is in better conditions I will bring it home.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with your decision in this case. I had the same situation arise a couple years ago. I never wanted an Avic no interest whatsoever. However, the heart strings got pulled looking at the little wretch, so I snagged it. Over the past couple years it has become one of my favorite spoods. Boring? Yep. Gorgeous? No. But , just something about it. It’s the only T I keep that when it’s hungry, parks itself next to the ventilation holes and takes mealies that I pass through the holes out of my fingers. Plus, it is the most laid back of all of my spiders, open the enclosure, do my thing, and don’t have to pay a bit of attention to it. Even if it saunters out, I just put a finger out to block it and voila, corralled. Sorry to go on about it, but just wanted to say it can work out, even with the consideration of perpetuating the LPS nonsense. I will end with this on an even more positive note. I figured that it was sold to the LPS because it was a male and I’ve been waiting for it to hook out. However, it molted last week and I became curious so I sexed the molt...YEAH! Female!!!

cold blood

Staff member
Hey, wild caught pet store ts are living animals, sure we dont want to encourage them to sell them, but its not worth letting animals die to prove a point a pet store doesnt care about anyway...dont ever feel guilty for giving ANY animal a better home and a proper shot at life.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Hey, wild caught pet store ts are living animals, sure we dont want to encourage them to sell them, but its not worth letting animals die to prove a point a pet store doesnt care about anyway...dont ever feel guilty for giving ANY animal a better home and a proper shot at life.
Live animals are such a small profit to these companies that it doesn’t really matter if people buy them or not. Especially with how cheap some species are whole sale. When they die, another takes its place. When they are sold, another takes its place.
Hope the OP is enjoys his new T. My favorite genus.