Rescued this little squirrel, been 20 years since keeping one

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Any tips? We are bottle feeding now. Looks to be around 3 weeks old...
9641A6ED-567C-49D1-8079-CD8E2E4D6201.jpeg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
With many wild caught animals the first move is a trip to the vet. Not just for a health check up but also to get the low down on care, habits, potential problems and watch fors. I've rescued disease time bombs in the past, along with discovering some habits and propensities of animals I would never have dreamed of.
A friend rescued a pigeon. The disease it carried, which didn't bother it at all, quickly killed her 40 or so parakeets.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
With many wild caught animals the first move is a trip to the vet. Not just for a health check up but also to get the low down on care, habits, potential problems and watch fors. I've rescued disease time bombs in the past, along with discovering some habits and propensities of animals I would never have dreamed of.
A friend rescued a pigeon. The disease it carried, which didn't bother it at all, quickly killed her 40 or so parakeets.
Wow thanks for the heads up, this one came from a guy that owns a tree service and they fell out when they cut a tree down.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I gotta concur with @The Snark. It might have worms or parasites that you can't see that will take it out. Vet visit.If anything the tree dudes should have a protocol. The ones here knocked down a hackberry tree that had hatched snake eggs and they knew what to do with them.

The Snark

Old Timer
And keep up with the local problem pests. Quite a few outbreaks of squirrel born bubonic plague around the country. One this year in Colorado.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Unfortunately, this happens all the time in tree service. It's hard to always know what's in the tree beforehand.
I've taken woodpeckers and raccoons and things to a wildlife rehabilitation center near me. I've also raised a grey squirrel before. It may not be legal to keep any wildlife in your state. Even if you intend to release it.
You've probably already started it on kitten formula if you're bottle feeding.
They eat pretty often and must be kept warm. An old towel or t shirt can make a cozy nest. It will be easy to contain at first. They grow pretty quick. Once those eyes are open and that tail starts getting fluffy it will start bouncing off the walls. If you can get it on solid food and release it before that it will be better. Lol. for now a Rubbermaid tote and t shirt will contain it.
I had mine in a parrot cage for the last few weeks before introducing him to the tree where i made a starter box.
Nuts, seeds, berries and things can be fed once they get going with solid food. Cheerios are a good starter.
Look out. They almost always have fleas.

The kids named ours Rocky. He still lives near the house but had a girlfriend last year. Totally self sufficient and won't let you too close anymore but he hangs out around us when we're outside.

This is the summer i released him. He still wanted affection the first while.
Sorry about the crazy picture. 😆
imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I have no advice other than "Awwww OMG its soooo cute!!! "

Ahem, sorry.. don't know what came over me then!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have no advice other than "Awwww OMG its soooo cute!!! "

Ahem, sorry.. don't know what came over me then!
He is an amazing little guy, so fragile, hopefully his eyes will open next week

Jess S

Arachnobaron
He is an amazing little guy, so fragile, hopefully his eyes will open next week
Reminds me of Squirrel Nutkin from Beatrice Potter. One of my favourites of her characters when I was young.

The Snark

Old Timer
Today I learned:- Polymath doesn't mean 'good at doing sums'
While poly, many, comes from the Greek, it is believed -math has it's origins in Sanskrit. A reference to Mathura, a city in northern India reknowned as a center of learning and said to be the birthplace of the mortal form of Krishna.
I need to review the works of Beatrix Potter again. Supposedly many of her efforts held underlying meanings, metaphors, symbolism and references, Squirrel Nutkin possibly being one of them.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Sadly he didn’t make it. Noticed some blood on its towel and the next morning at feeding time it was gone.
Aw, man. Sorry to hear that.
If it came down hard, it could have easily had internal injuries.
at least you gave it a shot.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Aw, man. Sorry to hear that.
If it came down hard, it could have easily had internal injuries.
at least you gave it a shot.
Yeah, that and it was really dehydrated when we got it. The tree guy we got it from, I think they tried to keep it a few days and didn’t give proper care. They needed to be fed every 3 to 4 hours.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, that and it was really dehydrated when we got it. The tree guy we got it from, I think they tried to keep it a few days and didn’t give proper care. They needed to be fed every 3 to 4 hours.
Oh, no. That really stinks.
Who knows what they even tried to feed it.
Poor little dude.