Rescued Scorp - imperator or cavimanus?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A friend of mine who once kept a variety of exotic pets has sold off most of his stock to support a "blossoming" heroin habit. He couldn't find a buyer for his scorpion, and has been neglecting it since he is basically too busy shooting up or trying to find money to take care of the poor thing. As a result, it has gotten quite thin - there is absolutely no "fleshy grayness" (forgive my lack of proper anatomy terminology) visible on its sides, and it is dorso-ventrally much more flattened than it ought to be. So, when I went to check on him last night, I asked for the scorp, and he was luckily coherent enough to hand it over. I'm having a little trouble, however, figuring out if it is an imperator or cavimanus. I have both species, and my imperator is very clearly black with that slight blue-green hue they get in the right lighting. The cavimanus has very blatantly reddish-brown claws, and an overall slightly brown hue to its body. However, this guy has me stumped; his body is mostly black with slight iridescence, however, his claws and the first joints on his legs have a dull brownish hue. Here is the only pic I have, which shows the claws nicely. What do you think?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The picture (for me anyways) leaves much to be desired, a clear overhead shot is always a good starting place :)

Nice picture though :)

Edit:

LOOKS like cavimanus??

But I can't be sure.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, it's been spending most of its time in its hide, only poking it's claws out to eat. I'll have to lift it's hide later and get a better shot; too bad, he looks so cozy in there. :)

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im so glad that scorpion has been rescued by someone whos actually gonna give a damn!
I hope he/she eats well and gets nice and healthy in his/her new home.
:D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nice scorp:clap: what i can see,see if you can nudge it out long enough to take a full pic, that was a great thing you did rescueing it and giving it the life it deserves:)

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hard to tell but there is some definate redness on the claws.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll cast my vote for the P imperator. Chela are too hairy and more granulated than I remember my cavimanus' to be. And the cavimanus has some definite keels that I don't see.

Could be wrong though :p

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
true but it would be a lot easier if we had a top view. From here it looks like it could be either. But i see most people think it's a P.imp so i can't argue with the numbers. :)

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks just like my P. imperators. Mine have a shade of red on their pincher's too.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks just like my P. imperators. Mine have a shade of red on their pincher's too.
Are you sure they are imperators, not cavimanus?

Imperators can show redness under a camera flash, but not really under natural daylight.

Damo

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure they are imperators, not cavimanus?

Imperators can show redness under a camera flash, but not really under natural daylight.

Damo
Well my imperators show them too.
They also show a shade of blue/green in sun.