Rescued Bald Chaco

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
I found this poor thing a couple hours away from where I live when I was visiting a buddy and had to buy this today and I talked the store owner down to a very low price on this T because of its condition. It has kicked all possible hairs. Will this tarantula be able to molt enough to get a healthy furry look?

Attachments

DragonizedGlory

Arachnosquire
That poor poor spider.
From my POV it looks like a female and one that's not fully grown. I could be wrong. Maybe she has one or two molts left. She should be fine after one molt. Just give her a good enclosure that's stress free.

On the other hand if I'm wrong and your T is fully grown that, Id say is a combination of petshop stress and age. My male G. Pulchripes went bald like that a few weeks before he died so best of luck to you and your new T

Edit:

Oh and I also forgot to add that that might also be very badly postponed premolt

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That poor poor spider.
From my POV it looks like a female and one that's not fully grown. I could be wrong. Maybe she has one or two molts left. She should be fine after one molt. Just give her a good enclosure that's stress free.

On the other hand if I'm wrong and your T is fully grown that, Id say is a combination of petshop stress and age. My male G. Pulchripes went bald like that a few weeks before he died so best of luck to you and your new T
are you joking?? o_O

OP, a bald abdomen is perfectly normal. it just means that the spider has kicked off most of its urticating hairs at perceived threats. they grow back every molt, dont worry. ;)
also, i think thats a Aphonopelma seemani, not a Grammostola pulchripes.

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
I knew it was a gamble but I'd rather try to help. She's not that big at all, if she was spread out maybe 4 inches. So I'm hoping she's (or he) Has plenty of life left

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
I knew about the utictating hairs getting kicked clear off, I just had never seen it so severe. I talked them down 16 bucks.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I knew it was a gamble but I'd rather try to help. She's not that big at all, if she was spread out maybe 4 inches. So I'm hoping she's (or he) Has plenty of life left
that spider probably has nearly 20 years left.
you got a great deal on a spider that size. the spider was probably in a very stressful environment and kicked hairs a ton. zero gamble, that spider looks fine.

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
Well, I didn't want to say it was my first T. But I guess my inexperience showed plenty. I've lurked around these boards for months and care for other inverts so when I saw this one I was ready.
I'm very tickled then to know that this wasn't an exceptional case at all

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well, I didn't want to say it was my first T. But I guess my inexperience showed plenty. I've lurked around these boards for months and care for other inverts so when I saw this one I was ready.
I'm very tickled then to know that this wasn't an exceptional case at all
no worries, just ask any questions you have here, and we'll do our best to answer them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@Venom1080 is spot on, that looks like a perfectly healthy spider. It's not even close to premolt, either. It's just kicked itself bald, there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, it's impossible to tell sex from this angle. Just a side note.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
:rofl: Lol, the guy/girl is 100% fine and you got an great deal at that.
For once, the customer finally gets the advantage over the LPS. Good job OP!

Could you take a pic of pedipalps and first pair of legs? Just to rule out it being a mature male.

Poor thing has been stressed a lot though i think.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
That poor T, I've never seen a bum that bald. Take good care of her, you're her second chance at a stress-free life!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That poor T, I've never seen a bum that bald. Take good care of her, you're her second chance at a stress-free life!
A bald rear isn't always a sign of a stressful life. Ask my B. boehmei and B. emilia :shifty: Both were beautiful after a molt... until they immediately balded themselves when I tried to take a picture.

cold blood

Staff member
That poor poor spider.
From my POV it looks like a female and one that's not fully grown. I could be wrong. Maybe she has one or two molts left.
One or 2 molts left? If its a male maybe, but females continue to molt throughout life.

It was not a gamble in the slightest, theres nothing wrong with that spider...bald spots are not an indicator of poor health.

I knew about the utictating hairs getting kicked clear off, I just had never seen it so severe. I talked them down 16 bucks.
You stole that spider at that price....even if its male.