Rescued A.Seemanni

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Curious as to how many here have rescued a T that was clearly in the wrong setup? To preface this, I normally always buy my tarantulas from a breeder. Tonight my girlfriend and I were getting groceries and decided to walk over to petco just to see if they had anything in. Sure enough, they had a 4 inch a.seemanni. Poor thing was on a half inch of dry substrate with a light beating down on it and an oversized hide for protection. Normally I would never purchase a T from petco, but they wanted $39 for it and apparently they had it in for less than a week. So as you probably guessed, I took it home. Currently it’s in a large keeper with 7-8 inches of lightly damp substrate. I’m assuming I’m not the only one has done this. Curious as to what T’s others have rescued?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I think must of us have. I have purchased a good many from craigslist and facebook adds from local people. Somw are kept very well, some, not so much...

Worst i can think of ATM was a Grammostola porteri girl who came in a 10 gallon aquarium with blue sand as substrate, and there wasn’t enough to even cover the whole bottom of the tank, No proper hide, and i cant recall if there was a water dish or not. Had it not been such a hardy species, i don’t know that it would have survided.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I think must of us have. I have purchased a good many from craigslist and facebook adds from local people. Somw are kept very well, some, not so much...

Worst i can think of ATM was a Grammostola porteri girl who came in a 10 gallon aquarium with blue sand as substrate, and there wasn’t enough to even cover the whole bottom of the tank, No proper hide, and i cant recall if there was a water dish or not. Had it not been such a hardy species, i don’t know that it would have survided.
Yeah I kinda figured most here have. That’s why I was curious to hear others stories. On one hand I know that purchasing through places like like petco doesn’t help matters because they are just going to replace it. But on the other, at least I know the one I bought isn’t going to be kept in awful conditions and potentially go to even worse.

hunterc

Arachnopeon
Last year i went to our local hardware store for a project i was doing. They have a small section that they carry fish, beardies, ball pythons, hamsters, ect, and i always go look. This time they had 4" avic avic. It was in a 10 gallon tank with a homemade plywood lid, no ventilation and a thin layer of pine bark chips for substrate...no hide no water source. Long story short, paid 30$ for it took it home put it in a proper set up..died 2 days later

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I was gifted an Avic that came from a petstore that was closing. it was in a super damp terrestrial enclosure with a sponge (not even a water dish). It looked fine, and I moved it into an arboreal setup and used Viper69's guide. It webbed up a corner in all the fake plants I'd put up there about three weeks after I'd gotten it. I felt relieved, it was my first arboreal and it was finally settling in. Three days later, it was on the ground in a death curl. I let it sit for awhile because I felt so horrible about it, I had named it and became very attached. I'm not sure if its bad previous husbandry had done it in, but the shop had had it for over a year, or if I made a fatal mistake. It put me off of ever wanting to "rescue" a petstore T again. I'm not sure if a positive outcome like yours would have resulted in a different opinion. I hope your new T is happy, you will surely do a much better job with its husbandry.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I was gifted an Avic that came from a petstore that was closing. it was in a super damp terrestrial enclosure with a sponge (not even a water dish). It looked fine, and I moved it into an arboreal setup and used Viper69's guide. It webbed up a corner in all the fake plants I'd put up there about three weeks after I'd gotten it. I felt relieved, it was my first arboreal and it was finally settling in. Three days later, it was on the ground in a death curl. I let it sit for awhile because I felt so horrible about it, I had named it and became very attached. I'm not sure if its bad previous husbandry had done it in, but the shop had had it for over a year, or if I made a fatal mistake. It put me off of ever wanting to "rescue" a petstore T again. I'm not sure if a positive outcome like yours would have resulted in a different opinion. I hope your new T is happy, you will surely do a much better job with its husbandry.
that’s what I’m concerned about. Doing everything right and it just going through too much previous stress that proper husbandry can’t save it. I’ve been keeping T’s for a while now and know better than to buy them from that environment. Just banking on the fact that they said it’s only been in about a week keeps me hopeful.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I'm not sure if its bad previous husbandry had done it in, but the shop had had it for over a year, or if I made a fatal mistake
Trust me, it was the pet store. Unless your husbandry was as bad or worse than the pet store's there's no way you could have killed it that quick. On the other hand long term neglect (the pet store's) can be hard to overcome.

ShalaRan

Arachnopeon
I don't want to go off topic but what about a pet shop that obviously knows how to keep Ts in proper conditions? A pet shop close to where I live not only has several different species in their care, the employee responsible for them is into the hobby as well and owns several himself. I had a longer talk with the guy a few days ago and I was delighted about his knowledge about husbandry and enclosure setups. They're also offering different feeders in different sizes and I'm honestly tempted to pre-order two Ts there.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I don't want to go off topic but what about a pet shop that obviously knows how to keep Ts in proper conditions? A pet shop close to where I live not only has several different species in their care, the employee responsible for them is into the hobby as well and owns several himself. I had a longer talk with the guy a few days ago and I was delighted about his knowledge about husbandry and enclosure setups. They're also offering different feeders in different sizes and I'm honestly tempted to pre-order two Ts there.
This is nice when it happens, but seems to be rare. And I've never really heard of it in chain pet stores.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Positive update on the one I took home last night. I gave if some damp substrate and made it a pre-made burrow in the 8 inches of substrate I provided, which it instantly went to when I put it in. It took on that legs over its head stressed position, so obviously is just left it alone all night and most all of today to let it decompress. I just got home an hour ago and it had repositioned itself and started to web and secure its burrow up a bit. Normally I would wait longer but seeing it’s shrunk abdomen I was tempted to see if it would eat. Sure enough, it took a large cricket the second it got close to its burrow. Now it’s out just chilling, still working on the cricket. I’m also delighted to realize that it’s a blue form coloration. So fingers crossed things continue to go smoothly from here.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My personal view us to not buy any tarantulas from such condition, cos then you "support" the petshops buisness, and they quickly buys in other, often WC spiders and continue to keep them in poor conditions

Poonjab

Arachnoking
My personal view us to not buy any tarantulas from such condition, cos then you "support" the petshops buisness, and they quickly buys in other, often WC spiders and continue to keep them in poor conditions
Yeah. I actually agree with you. I know deep down that by purchasing from them I contribute to the viscous cycle. So I really have no excuse. Other than I like tarantulas too much to see them in those conditions. Probably won’t do that again, just something came over me seeing it in such poor conditions.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One should try to talk to them. Not yelling, or shouting and call them names, but a adult conversation, and tell them how this animals should be kept.
I also gets the impression that many thinks "this is just a spider" so they can be kept this way!

This is terrible!