Rescue T's...

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
Okay, so we have a problem (I think).

I recently rescued two T's that were in good care but unwanted. One is a G. Porteri and the other is a B. Smithi. Both are female. However, when going to pick up the girls, I noticed how obvious in premolt the Smithi was. I asked how long she had been this way, and the lady said she'd laid down a mat. If I am correct, mats mean the T will molt usually within 24 hours.

The problem is: The Smithi hasn't molted since I picked her up Saturday. She is in a temporary enclosure, and is obviously unhappy. My question is, is she gonna be okay? I feel horrible for disturbing her like this, but I had NO IDEA she was even in premolt! I have left her completely alone; she's off on a shelf where there will be no movement or anything. I have not fed her (obviously). I am just wondering if she's okay.

Now, I know why she hasn't molted. She feels it is not safe enough yet, and I completely understand that. I am just wondering if maybe, if she doesn't molt soon, will she die or become injured? Thank you guys in advance.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
she will adapt and molt. Make sure you have suitable housing before acquiring Ts next time. To be safe.

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
she will adapt and molt. Make sure you have suitable housing before acquiring Ts next time. To be safe.
Alright. Thanks. I have learned to have more housing available, yes. I haven't been paid yet, but when I do get paid this Friday I am going to Walmart or somewhere to find her a nice roomy enclosure.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good on you to take the T's with you. They always need some time to settle in. A molting mat does not necessarily mean an impending molt. It is better to check the abdomen for a shiny black spot.
She'll be fine.

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
So far she has been moving the substrate around. I'm using Zoo Med's Eco Earth coconut fiber. All my other T's seem to like it just fine, and my A. Avics have been putting it in their webs like a bunch of weirdos. Like I said, her housing is VERY temporary. I was hoping to keep her in there until she molted.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Relax.Go watch a movie.You rescued her.Thats the thing.She will take care of the rest.
You obviously give a d....That's what counts.Good for you :happy:.
And her moving the earth around to her liking is a good sign.

cold blood

Staff member
Good on you to take the T's with you. They always need some time to settle in. A molting mat does not necessarily mean an impending molt. It is better to check the abdomen for a shiny black spot.
She'll be fine.
If its an actual molting mat, it would....often time random webbing is simply mistaken for a molting mat....i think this was the case with the previous owner.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I think you should be given a prize for the rescue. If she's bulldozing she's ok. Take cold blood's advice about the containers at wallyworld. Great prices. Add holes for breathing, a water dish and a hide for your ladies.

pissybaboon

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys so much for your help. As for the enclosures, I know how cheap Walmart is and stuff, but I literally didn't even have $19 the day I got get. I'm a college kid, not a millionaire. Tarantulas are not the only animals I own. As for the rescuing part, I am more than willing to rescue even more if I find them. I think they deserve so much more than some people give them, in both credit and care.