rescue ball python

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys!

I might soon be rescuing an 18yr old 5ft ball python from an elderly lady who's son owned the snake. The snake has been fed live it's entire life, I haven't seen the snake or really have any more info on it. I'm mostly looking for some advice and what not, and I'd also like some advice on switching it over to F/T instead of live. I'll be doing research on my own aside from this thread, but some view points would be nice. :) I'll continue to update as I get more information on the snake and such.

Thanks!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ball pythons are notorious for being picky eaters, so you may have a very difficult time switching over to F/T. That is about all the advice I can offer. Hopefully the snake has been cared for well and handled often, so that it is not bitey, especially with the live feeders.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have never encountered a picky eater when it comes to ball pythons. I have never had one turn down food, whether a living or dead food item is offered. The books all state that they fast for long periods and can be finicky eaters, but I don't find that to be the case at all. Back in the day many were WC imports which explains why they didn't do so well in captivity. Hope your rescue animal does well-- 18 year old snake, that's cool in and of itself.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Isn't it illegal to own any snake over 5 feet in Douglas County (where Omaha is)?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Isn't it illegal to own any snake over 5 feet in Douglas County (where Omaha is)?
If that was really the case, the snake would instantly become 4.5 feet. ;)

Here in Joplin, MO. You cannot sell any snake that gets over 6'. However, you can own a 20' retic and nobody would care. Well, so long as you aren't going out and terrorizing the neighbourhood with it.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ball pythons are notorious for being picky eaters, so you may have a very difficult time switching over to F/T. .
Just depends on the individual.

Hey guys!

I might soon be rescuing an 18yr old 5ft ball python from an elderly lady who's son owned the snake. The snake has been fed live it's entire life, I haven't seen the snake or really have any more info on it. I'm mostly looking for some advice and what not, and I'd also like some advice on switching it over to F/T instead of live. I'll be doing research on my own aside from this thread, but some view points would be nice. :) I'll continue to update as I get more information on the snake and such.

Thanks!
There are a million care sheets out there for them. They are extremely basic to care for, even if you you have never owned snakes before. (I don't know if you have or not, you did not state) Buy some feeding forceps and move the FT rat around like it is alive. It should eat then. My two Ball Pythons are completely different though, my male is one of the sweetest snakes I have ever owned. My female however, she has a terrible attitude problem. If you can take care of a Tarantula, you can handle a Ball Python. You will do fine.

EDIT: I see you have two Kingsnakes. You will do fine.

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do you have carpet python and amazon tree boa?

they are nice and expensive?
She is rescuing a Ball Python because well you can't sell things that are common very easily. Carpets and ATB's aren't really expensive either, unless you got some kind of Carpet Python morph.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, acctually it's 8' I checked into the law when I moved into douglas county, you can't own any lizards that are over 5'. However, I'm acctually not rescuing it now, my mom is, and she lives in omaha, but she lives in unincorperated sarpy county, so she can own any size snake she wants.

Thanks for all the advice guys, like I mentioned my mom is taking the snake instead, but I will pass all of this onto her. :) The lady we're getting her from is kind of flaky though, so I don't quite know when we're getting her. :rolleyes: Over all the whole situation had just been odd, but we'll see.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, acctually it's 8' I checked into the law when I moved into douglas county, you can't own any lizards that are over 5'. However, I'm acctually not rescuing it now, my mom is, and she lives in omaha, but she lives in unincorperated sarpy county, so she can own any size snake she wants.

Thanks for all the advice guys, like I mentioned my mom is taking the snake instead, but I will pass all of this onto her. :) The lady we're getting her from is kind of flaky though, so I don't quite know when we're getting her. :rolleyes: Over all the whole situation had just been odd, but we'll see.
Oh cool. I wasn't sure, but I figured if anyone would know, you would, haha.