Reptile Timer

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been looking around for digital or analog outlet timers for reptile heat bulbs. I'm not too keen on these things, so I'd like to know if anyone here can recommend a product that is reliable and works because I see that sources like Amazon sell outlet timers, but I'm not sure if they would work with 100W heat bulbs, for instance. Here's one of the few I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-38425...L73K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1299215010&sr=8-6

Do you think it'd work if I used it with a heat lamp holding a 100W heat bulb?
It says: Rating: UL/CUL 120V/5A/600W Res, 60W T
But all of that to me is jibberish :eek:
Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:

TreeGuy

Arachnopeon
Any old timer will work with a lamp for controlling daylength provided they can support the wattage.

If the goal of the timer is to control temperature, ie with a ceramic heat emiter than why not look into a thermostat with a probe. Simply put the probe into the viv at the basking spot and then it will turn on and off the heater to maintain the temperature where you set it.

Proportional thermostats are super nice, but also super expensive. You should be able to pick up a regular herp thermostat for about 50 bucks, and of course if this is just for day length than a regular timer is cheaper yet.

Best of luck!

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got mine at home depot. I'm sure that lowes or any other large hardware store will have them.