Reptile suggestions

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For Christmas/after Christmas i'm considering getting a reptile. This would be my first one since I owned an iguana as a kid (as he got older he took an aggressive turn, had to rehome him.) Although I have helped with & watched my sister raise her reverse okeetee corn snake from a baby in the last couple of years.

I've been drooling over everyone's lovely critters for months now :drool: I'd like to start looking into what I want to get so I have time to track down a reputable breeder if I decide to go the CB baby route (not ruling out private sellers.)

I feel that I could go with something with slightly higher the basic needs (ie: leopard geckos & corn snakes), but I don't feel like jumping in with something quite like, say, a tree python :D

Right now on my list of consideration are:
- Bearded dragon
- Blue tongue skink
- Corn snake
- Hog nose
- Water snake (thanks pitbulllady :D)
- A boa/python species (I know there are a ton of varieties, thinking something small*ish*. RTB and children's pythons are the only ones coming to my brain at the moment.)

Better add some more details :)
I don't want something terribly pricey, would love to stay around $200. Would also like something that tends to be acceptable to handling.
And I know these are popular, but I have 0 interest in geckos :( They just don't interest me.

If anyone has an opinion about something i'm considering, or has a suggestion for something I may not have thought/heard of, please throw it out there!

Last edited:

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Now, I could be wrong since I haven't read up much n them, but I thought they are fairly high maintenance? And are they ok for handling?

I want something that is ok for handling, not to terribly difficult to keep, and personality.
Maintenance for them was no more or less than any other lizard I ever had and def. easier than when I had snakes IMO. I had just a screen cage with a few live plants, I'll have to check with my gf as to what kind they were. The chameleons were really more her thing, but I ended up loving them.

I've had some that were ok and some that weren't with handling. Kinda like certain Ts I suppose; depends on the individual animal. The one knock against them I've heard is; some of the more colorful species i.e. Jacksons and panthers, etc. have shorter lifespans 3-4 years if I'm not mistaken. A little pricy too, but the more standard ones are pretty reasonable.

Hibiscus and ficus were the live plants.

Last edited:

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Get a tortoise! I have had a Geochelone pardalis, leopard tortoise, for six months or so. The little guy, named Tater Tort, has quickly become my favorite pet. Even though he is only a year old he has such attitude and spunk.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maintenance for them was no more or less than any other lizard I ever had and def. easier than when I had snakes IMO. I had just a screen cage with a few live plants, I'll have to check with my gf as to what kind they were. The chameleons were really more her thing, but I ended up loving them.

I've had some that were ok and some that weren't with handling. Kinda like certain Ts I suppose; depends on the individual animal. The one knock against them I've heard is; some of the more colorful species i.e. Jacksons and panthers, etc. have shorter lifespans 3-4 years if I'm not mistaken. A little pricy too, but the more standard ones are pretty reasonable.

Hibiscus and ficus were the live plants.
I found some care sheets. Between the multiple lights, feeding requirements, easily stressed, live plants, daily misting/drip system, etc etc, they just don't sound like what i'm looking for :(

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
I found some care sheets. Between the multiple lights, feeding requirements, easily stressed, live plants, daily misting/drip system, etc etc, they just don't sound like what i'm looking for :(
A lot of that's overkill, but no worries. :) Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Off your list the corn snakes would be my personal choice, mainly just because of the variety of colors.

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any opinions on "Leopard Lizards"? I saw a video that made them look easy to handle, but in the writeups they look fast, slightly aggressive, and need a large tank.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No geckos. I've looked at lots of different color and species, but none of them have really jumped out at me as a must have. I know, I'm special :D

A beardie or a blue tongue are high on my list and I have been actively looking at breeders and eyeing local classifieds to research prices and avalibility.

But, I'm also entertaining the idea of a lizard and a smaller snake species.

Krippschick

Arachnopeon
I think Blue tongue skinks are awesome. Check out bluetongueskink.net. They have breeders who breed northerns and IJs in the US(I think he may even have some IJ babys now, and I think are probably in your price range). They are normally good with handling, they eat cat/dog food, veggies and fruit. Check out the care sheet on this site, it would answer almost any question you may have regarding care, feeding, lighting, tank size,and so on. They have awesome personalities, and I love mine to peices. Just got a second one, who is just a few months old. My first one I got 3 months ago and he is about a year or so old. Good luck with your hunt.

Nikki

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think Blue tongue skinks are awesome. Check out bluetongueskink.net. They have breeders who breed northerns and IJs in the US(I think he may even have some IJ babys now, and I think are probably in your price range). They are normally good with handling, they eat cat/dog food, veggies and fruit. Check out the care sheet on this site, it would answer almost any question you may have regarding care, feeding, lighting, tank size,and so on. They have awesome personalities, and I love mine to peices. Just got a second one, who is just a few months old. My first one I got 3 months ago and he is about a year or so old. Good luck with your hunt.

Nikki
:D Already been all over their site! It was very very helpful.

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second the blue tongue skink. My LPS has 2 babies that I'd buy in a heartbeat if I was employed at the moment.

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Blue tongues makes great pets, but their poo can be messy... and their shed scales are also messy. Other than that, awesome! Worth breeding too.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A Carpet Python. Easy to keep, more active than the common species, and, in my opinion, far more colorful. If you need convincing: Thank you! I knew there are ton...today that I also like the looks of dumerils.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Womas are really nice pythons.

Hogg Island boas are really nice when they are adults and usually stay smaller than columbians.