Reptile Parasites

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because of the fact that I am really bored today I thought I would post some pictures. When I get really cool specimens at work I photograph them. I will have to upload more of the photos I have taken at work. Here is my fav. This is an Oxyurid. The host was a Greek tortoise that was approx. 4 years old.

This is literally one of the most photogenic parasites I have seen. Check out the reproductive action going on. When I was taking these pictures the big female was poping out eggs!

btw. in these shots you can see most of the basic anatomy of this animal.

Mouth parts view..

I will be adding more pictures next time I have time to upload them from work. If you are interested I can explain more info about these parasites.

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because of the fact that I am really bored today I thought I would post some pictures. When I get really cool specimens at work I photograph them. I will have to upload more of the photos I have taken at work. Here is my fav. This is an Oxyurid. The host was a Greek tortoise that was approx. 4 years old.
fyi...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworm

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fyi
saying Oxyurid...is like saying bug.....or spider.
there are alot of different types of Oxyurid.in at least 5 different genera .

moose

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fyi
saying Oxyurid...is like saying bug.....or spider.
there are alot of different types of Oxyurid.in at least 5 different genera .

moose
I did not feel that it was necessary to ID it down to species for a posting of a picture. If I posted a picture of a Epargyreus clarus I would have just called it a skipper unless I was having a scientific discussion about the species. If I was just posting a picture for people to enjoy the photo I would use a common name for the sake of familiarity to the reader.

So if I was posting a picture and talking about the specific nature of the parasite, the life cycle, epidemiology ,and treatment I would have listed the scientific name.

I was just a little annoyed because it seemed like the original post was not read and that was the nature of the question. If that was not the case I am sorry.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful pics. When it comes to reptile parasites, my opinion is that the enjoyment comes in the knowledge gained. Especially for reptile owners. ID'ing down to the specific parasite shown would greatly enhance your photos. Maybe even a little natural history on the animals- what they infect, how much damage they do, direct or indirect lifestyle, how to get rid of them, etc would be very valuable. I know I could gain from these pics and, again, great shots.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice shots, Craig! Are you a vet or at an institution for higher learning?

I can understand your annoyance with the presumption that the reader had not read the first post, but, as was pointed out, perhaps they were just looking for yet more detailed info.

I concur with Dave -- if it isn't too much trouble -- I would love to hear/read more on any parasites you show. Guess I'm justa "nerd" that way. :D