Reptile Expo Loot

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I had to share my excitement of my chilobrachys sp electric blue sling I absolutely had to buy at the hamburg reptile show from Kamel Spiders. The little guy wasn't cheap, but the cheapest I've seen here in the states. I'll post a pic when I get home. :smug:

I've never kept any chilobrachys species so what do you guys recommend for husbandry? Damp substrate? Are they medium or fast growers?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've never kept this species, but I've had plenty of Chilobrachys.

They all burrow deeply as slings. If kept on deep substrate, they will become obligate burrowers. If you provide plenty of anchor points (bamboo skewers work), then they will web like there's no tomorrow and never burrow. Every Chilo I've had is a fast grower, with males maturing in twelve to eighteen months.

I'll leave humidity for someone else. C. fimbriatus should never dry out, but C. andersoni doesn't mind drier conditions. From what I've read, they should be kept humid.

Congrats on the new spider! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Oh. My. Lord. This thing is the fastest T I have ever seen. I took it out of its tiny vial to get it into a bigger container and that was the biggest mistake of my life. Almost a $150 down the drain mistake. It ran up and down my forearms like there was no tomorrow.
I did get a couple pics for the nonbelievers though.
20161016_023324.jpg
20161016_023250.jpg

And now that I'm writing this I think it may have bitten me. o_O My left forearm began to feel tingly with goosebumps and then a little numbing feeling. Maybe I'm just psyched out from chasing it up and down my arms, but my right forearm feels normal.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Cute little bugger. I would have died with that tiny thing on the loose. You can barely see it and it still moves at lightning speed. Glad your near disastrous moment came to a successful conclusion

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I doubt you got bit, slings aren't quick to bite and it simply doesn't have a large venom payload. Probably just the adrenaline rush :D

If it's too much for you, I'd happily take it off your hands ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I doubt you got bit but with that feeling in your left arm you are possibly having a stroke or heart attack from almost losing such an expensive sling..

I'm raising a C.fimbriatus about that size on deep barely moist eco earth.. He is hole with little webbing above ground.. I don't know if the same care applies for sp. E blue though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm raising a C.fimbriatus about that size on deep barely moist eco earth.. He is hole with little webbing above ground.. I don't know if the same care applies for sp. E blue though.
Add some anchor points on your next rehouse! A web maze is better than a pet hole any day of the week :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ran all over the place, should have used the bag method for transfer hah.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Ran all over the place, should have used the bag method for transfer hah.
Oh no I thought I could handle the little guy. Boy was I surprised.
I can't imagine how fast they are as adults.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
20161016_182528.jpg
One day of web work. Pretty impressive. And a voracious eater as I expected.