Reptile conventions.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Hey fellas! Hope everyone is safe.

Are prices for slings much cheaper at reptile shows compared to online stores or brick and mortor?
I used to be into reef aquaria and for sure u got great deals at reef conventions compared to online or storefront dealers! But since i never been to T or reptile shows... do u really save that much on potential pets?

Im asking cuz if im not gonna save much.. why not iust pull the trigger and buy from my local dealer who is only several miles away from me..

The next show in my state will be the reptile show in Anaheim.. any thoughts?
Thanks guys

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I find they’re comparable to most online sites maybe a little more. But it does vary from vendor to vendor. If it’s not a huge show I wouldn’t expect to have too many T options and most of what they have are fairly common species.
At least you don’t have to deal with shipping.
I usually do go to local ones in hopes of finding 1-2 Ts at best. You can get plenty of other stuff for good prices too though. Like terrariums/cork bark/substrate. Especially feeders

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I have found that the price marked is comparable to what I find online. However, there is no shipping and you can negotiate. The ones around me (OKC) are pretty small so I go with a list of hopefuls that I know I can take care of and what they cost online. I have gotten decently lucky.

Oh yeah and substrate and cork bark is cheaper. And I found a really nice enclosure for $20.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Hmmm. That sucks. I was hoping livestock would be like 1/2 the price.
At reef stores.. a milipora coral would be like 60 for a frag.. that same frag at a show would be 20! A 1 inch maxima clam (look em up. They are beautiful! ) at stores... easily 80-100.. at the show... 30- 50 tops!
Okay.. well at least dry goods will be cheap! Ill still go anyway!
Thanks guys!

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Hmmm. That sucks. I was hoping livestock would be like 1/2 the price.
At reef stores.. a milipora coral would be like 60 for a frag.. that same frag at a show would be 20! A 1 inch maxima clam (look em up. They are beautiful! ) at stores... easily 80-100.. at the show... 30- 50 tops!
Okay.. well at least dry goods will be cheap! Ill still go anyway!
Thanks guys!
Yeah I definitely haven't found any amazing deals like that. I have gotten some decent deals, but not amazing. You have to pay to get in too.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
well i am not at american, but for me at expo always animal is like 1/2 price of it online -- I bought for example juvenile female Grammostola pulchripes about 5 centimeter for 1000 ruble, it would normally being at least 2000 if not more to get online for this animal

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ya shows/conventions can be hit or miss in IMO.Just don’t be disappointed when you see 3 tables full of LP.s and B.hamori/vagans.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
well i am not at american, but for me at expo always animal is like 1/2 price of it online -- I bought for example juvenile female Grammostola pulchripes about 5 centimeter for 1000 ruble, it would normally being at least 2000 if not more to get online for this animal
Quit bragging. :mad:

(Only kidding. 😁)

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Quit bragging. :mad:

(Only kidding. 😁)
This is nothing, I did not even have mentioned our 13% income tax rate yet :D

But if i think american probably pays a lot for shipping so even with no discount its still worthy to go to expo!!! Also its more fun that to make an order at online!

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Whoa... i see. So its not as good as the reef conventions.. :((((

It's interesting tho that shows in other countries are like the reef shows... EVERYTHING 60% OFF!

It seems like our hobby is more popular in europe. Maybe that's why?

WE NEED A TARANTULA/INSECT SHOW IN THE U.S.! NO REPTILES. JUST INVERTS!

This is nothing, I did not even have mentioned our 13% income tax rate yet :D

But if i think american probably pays a lot for shipping so even with no discount its still worthy to go to expo!!! Also its more fun that to make an order at online!
TRUE THAT! Even if i dont find any livestock i like.. at least ill get to pick up exoterras, drift wood, supplies for hella cheap! Who knows.. lol!!!! Maybe ill walk out with a snake. I think my wife will kill me.
It's funny right? She thinks tarantulas are cute.. but thinks snakes are nasty and ugly. Jeez.. i wish i can get a snake tho.
My dad was right.. getting married is like getting another mom in my life.
But i love her to death hahahha!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey fellas! Hope everyone is safe.

Are prices for slings much cheaper at reptile shows compared to online stores or brick and mortor?
I used to be into reef aquaria and for sure u got great deals at reef conventions compared to online or storefront dealers! But since i never been to T or reptile shows... do u really save that much on potential pets?

Im asking cuz if im not gonna save much.. why not iust pull the trigger and buy from my local dealer who is only several miles away from me..

The next show in my state will be the reptile show in Anaheim.. any thoughts?
Thanks guys
Good Qs.

Decades ago shows were a great place to get good T prices. In the past 8-10 yrs that has changed considerably. In many cases the price is the same or only 5$ less. You will SAVE on shipping, but you will pay a fee to go to a herp show, not as much as shipping.

The Anaheim show is a GREAT show, you have to go there. I'm a herp person first, T second. In both cases it's a great show. There's a very good T breeder that shows up there.

WE NEED A TARANTULA/INSECT SHOW IN THE U.S.! NO REPTILES. JUST INVERTS!
This already exists,and in your state, I've been to it.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Good Qs.

Decades ago shows were a great place to get good T prices. In the past 8-10 yrs that has changed considerably. In many cases the price is the same or only 5$ less. You will SAVE on shipping, but you will pay a fee to go to a herp show, not as much as shipping.

The Anaheim show is a GREAT show, you have to go there. I'm a herp person first, T second. In both cases it's a great show. There's a very good T breeder that shows up there.

This already exists,and in your state, I've been to it.
NO WAY!! THANKS VIPER!!
thats good to hear! So the herp show in anaheim is good huh?? When is the next T show? And where? I better google this now . Never heard of a T/Insect show! Thanks again!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NO WAY!! THANKS VIPER!!
thats good to hear! So the herp show in anaheim is good huh?? When is the next T show? And where? I better google this now . Never heard of a T/Insect show! Thanks again!!
Been going there for a long time, it doesn't disappoint.

@moricollins >> Thank god someone on AB uses google

ignithium

Arachnoknight
NO WAY!! THANKS VIPER!!
Well, I know there is a bug fair each year on October at Cal Poly Pomona campus, when i visited to the US, I attended this!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My experience with reptile shows (Repticon, etc.) in the US have been great. I get discounts and fair deals since I work and sell to local vendors. If you don't contribute much to support the locals and vendors, don't expect to get fair prices most of the times.

Most of the time, I prefer buying at shows than online because prices usually are better (for me) and no shipping costs. I have to admit that the variety is much less than online, but at least I can get to know the locals and the vendors there who can set you up for future business. Every time I go to local expo, someone is willing to give a discount and it feels good to get help from the people you support. A lot people are quite fond of reptile shows because lack of T. vendors, which is true. But for me, it is a great way to know more people and start setting up business relations if possible. My advice is for people looking for better prices at local expos or shows is to start taking advantage of establishing a reputation. The local staff that runs my local Repticon call me the "tarantula guy" since I'm usually the first guy in the line who arrives early to wholesale T.'s and slings to a vendor or two.