Reptibark and Vermiculite.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All i have heard is how bad reptibark it for T.'s....why? I mix mine in with the coconut fiber to add a little volume. Does the bark hurt them some way?

And where does everyone get their vermiculite from? I can only find it at home depot and it is in a HUGE 20 dollar bag.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use plain coconut shreds or peat moss for all of my ts.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep just get a bag of peat moss and be done with it

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i use only organic peat moss . its cheap , looks pretty good and works very well
vermiculite MAY help hold moisture but i dont think its nessary. I keep all my Tarantulas on bone dry substrate and a large water dish and have had no problems at all. no mold no mites no bad molts. BUT keeping the water dishes full is a must

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I personally don't think that reptibark and coconut coir mixed would pose a problem. I myself use nothing but coconut coir. Albeit cheap, peat moss drove me nuts with the dust and trying to keep it moist. These are just my opinions. There are numerous substrates and mixtures that can be used. Use a few in different setups and see which works best for you.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think people have a problems with reptibark if its mixed with another substrate. I have seen people use it as the only bedding in a tank, and thats just not good. Mixed with some peat or eco earth cannot be that bad.

Iggy

Arachnopeon
And where does everyone get their vermiculite from? I can only find it at home depot and it is in a HUGE 20 dollar bag.[/QUOTE]

Go to a green house or specialized garden center. You will be able to find smaller bags that are sterile / horticulture grade, also in different sizes fine, medium, coarse and extra coarse. Depending on what size grain you are looking for. Hope this helps, Iggy