Answered Replying to posts

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
When I click on “reply”, the thread I’m replying to is copied into my post. If it’s a really long post it takes ages to edit that. I might want to quote and answer just a small part of their post, but haven’t found a way to do it easily.

Also, when I try to bold or italicise a word I can’t see how to turn it off again. Clicking on the symbol doesn’t turn it off.

or is it just me? :confused:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
When I click on “reply”, the thread I’m replying to is copied into my post. If it’s a really long post it takes ages to edit that. I might want to quote and answer just a small part of their post, but haven’t found a way to do it easily.
At the bottom of each page in a thread, you'll see the post reply box:
upload_2019-11-20_14-22-20.png
That box is where you type your post if you're not looking to reply to anyone in particular.

Clicking the upload_2019-11-20_14-24-52.png button in a particular post is for replying specifically to that post. As such, it will quote the entire post. "Reply" = Quoting an entire single post

Clicking the upload_2019-11-20_14-28-11.png button can be done to reply to multiple specific posts and will also quote the entirety of each post that you click it in. "+Quote" = Multi-quoting (quoting multiple entire posts)

If you would like to pick and choose snippets from each post to reply to, you must do the following:
  • Select the specific text that you would like to reply to:
    upload_2019-11-20_14-32-35.png
  • Click "Reply" and it will place the selected text as a quote in the post reply box.
If you want to reply to multiple snippets, you can do the above one snippet at a time, or, you can highlight each piece of text and click the "+Quote" that appears each time you select something different. It will put each selection as its own separate quote.

If you use either "+Quote" feature a new button will appear underneath the bottom left of the post reply box: upload_2019-11-20_14-40-54.png
Click in the post reply box and clicking that button will insert all multi-quotes for you to reply to.

Also, when I try to bold or italicise a word I can’t see how to turn it off again. Clicking on the symbol doesn’t turn it off.
As for this, your best bet is to write out your entire post normally and then go back and select (highlight) each word that you want to bold or italicize and then click the appropriate button.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
MrD

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
As for this, your best bet is to write out your entire post normally and then go back and select (highlight) each word that you want to bold or italicize and then click the appropriate button.
On the PC, hold down Control and hit the B, I, or U key to toggle, turn on the Bold, Italic, or Underlined style. Repeat to turn it off. The style being turned on but not highlighted in the control bar is a chronic problem with Rich and a few other text editing programs.
Or just select the problem text and do as MrD said or click the Remove Formatting at the top right of the box.