Removing uneaten prey in burrows

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
Tried feeding my Pterinochilus Murinus sling today, pretty soon after it last fed I'll admit but I've heard slings can never be to fat, anyway. I dropped the small cricket in and the cricket went in the spiders hole, I then see the spider half exit another entrance to its burrow, clearly not interested in eating. Now I have a situation where the spider isn't interested in the eating the prey item, but I can't extract the prey item without really invading it's burrow (which I would really rather not do). So is it safe to leave there? It's a pretty small sling but the cricket is a little bit smaller then it is, but I do know those little buggers have pretty strong mandibles.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Tried feeding my Pterinochilus Murinus sling today, pretty soon after it last fed I'll admit but I've heard slings can never be to fat, anyway. I dropped the small cricket in and the cricket went in the spiders hole, I then see the spider half exit another entrance to its burrow, clearly not interested in eating. Now I have a situation where the spider isn't interested in the eating the prey item, but I can't extract the prey item without really invading it's burrow (which I would really rather not do). So is it safe to leave there? It's a pretty small sling but the cricket is a little bit smaller then it is, but I do know those little buggers have pretty strong mandibles.
Do you know if the T is in pre molt? If it is I would say remove the cricket as it could injure your T if it molts. If you don't think its in pre molt then leave it in, the T will either eat it if its hungry. If after 24 hours it still hasn't eaten it I would say try to get it out as its probably due a molt.

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
Do you know if the T is in pre molt? If it is I would say remove the cricket as it could injure your T if it molts. If you don't think its in pre molt then leave it in, the T will either eat it if its hungry. If after 24 hours it still hasn't eaten it I would say try to get it out as its probably due a molt.
I'm not entirely sure if it's in premolt or not, I haven't seen too much of it and when I do its ventral. The cricket wandered out of the burrow where I grabbed it with forceps btw. Pic related, cricket spooked him out and he's been sitting like this for awhile 20170224_120253.jpg

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I'm not entirely sure if it's in premolt or not, I haven't seen too much of it and when I do its ventral. The cricket wandered out of the burrow where I grabbed it with forceps btw. Pic related, cricket spooked him out and he's been sitting like this for awhile View attachment 232352
Just keep an eye on it for signs of pre molt. You could offer pre killed prey in a couple of days. If its hungry it will scavenge & find the prey. If its in premolt then no danger of it getting injured.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm not entirely sure if it's ijuemolt or not, I haven't seen too much of it and when I do its ventral. The cricket wandered out of the burrow where I grabbed it with forceps btw. Pic related, cricket spooked him out and he's been sitting like this for awhile View attachment 232352
The vial says B.vagans....that makes for a surprise when opening...
'nah man, this is just my B.vagans, no worri....arrg°]«®^\!#:!!!!'
:D

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
The vial says B.vagans....that makes for a surprise when opening...
'nah man, this is just my B.vagans, no worri....arrg°]«®^\!#:!!!!'
:D
haha, why waste a perfectly good vial ? And that marker is so hard to scrub off... only other thing I'm keeping in a vial is a Psalmopoeus Cambridgei, so I'd like to think I won't get them mixed up lol

cold blood

Staff member
haha, why waste a perfectly good vial ? And that marker is so hard to scrub off... only other thing I'm keeping in a vial is a Psalmopoeus Cambridgei, so I'd like to think I won't get them mixed up lol
Put the cam in something larger...like a 32oz deli cup. They're ungodly fast and do best with more room. Also they will web a vial pretty good, which can decrease already poor ventilation from a vial.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
crush the crickets head. the spider will still take it if its hungry and its not a danger to the spider this way.

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
Put the cam in something larger...like a 32oz deli cup. They're ungodly fast and do best with more room. Also they will web a vial pretty good, which can decrease already poor ventilation from a vial.
Would this be to big? It's in the vial because this was what I was intending on putting it in but it arrived smaller then expected and I figured it'd be easier to take care of in a vial, if I can improve anything I'd like to know. My main concern would be the air holes being to big, used a soldering iron to make them awhile ago 20170225_235039.jpg

cold blood

Staff member

Necked down tops make maintenance a potential pain...likewise, a rigid top means every time you do anything, you have to take the entire top off...with a deli you can just open a small area while it remains 90% sealed...much less of an escape risk. You can also vent them with a pin and toothpick.

Cams start out fairly large compared to terrestrials, on top of that, they molt monthly and put on huge growth per molt, so having them in small enclosures would mean a re-house every or every-other month. With a 32oz deli they can stay put till about 3".

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'm assuming I could aquire a 32oz deli cup at Walmart or Dillons or similar?
Yes. Though when hubby and I are in need of new deli containers we go out and get pho or hot pot (and a lot of it) and ask for as many take-home containers as they will give us :D

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
Rubbing alcohol removes even the most permanent of permanent markers with ease.