Remaining lifespan of 3" male P regalis?

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 3" legspan P regalis that looks to be male. Seller told me that with the last molt he suspected female but wasn't sure. I figured that was just a sales tactic but I didn't care, the T is beautiful either way and was not overpriced... I'll find out for sure with the next molt =-)

My question is, how long does he potentially have until final molt? The Ts are kept in a steady room temperature environment, usually fed every two weeks (or more depending). My research points to total lifespan but not where they will be at 3" mark so I don't know the remaining lifespan... I'm guessing he has about 2 years before MM?

Some pics btw:

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
it's super hard to tell when pokies will mature, some mature as big as 3", others can mature at 6". It's a lottery

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I have a 5 year old 6" male P. regalis which not mature yet. I'm expecting it with the next molt. So yeah, kind of a gamble..

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I think a lot depends on the temperature you keep him at and how much you feed him. You can speed things up or slow things down based on those two factors as far as I understand it. So there is no real definitive amount of lifespan left based on his size today.

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully I'll be able to recognize he's matured in time to send him off for breeding

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It all depends on temperature and feeding. I can get Male poecs to mature in as little as a year...
If you want him to stick around 2-3 + yrs feed him sparingly and keep him in the low 70s..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have a 5 year old 6" male P. regalis which not mature yet. I'm expecting it with the next molt. So yeah, kind of a gamble..
That's a long time for a male to stick around are you sure it's not a girl? Pics would be awesome..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the info. I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully I'll be able to recognize he's matured in time to send him off for breeding
It's pretty obvious if your used to working with Poecilotheria but is easily missed by most as they don't have tibial hooks and the palps are relatively small..

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
That's a long time for a male to stick around are you sure it's not a girl? Pics would be awesome..
Yes, I was and still am in much doubt. This regalis is something I cannot sex for sure no matter what.. I have posted it's fussilae here and general conclusion was that it is a male.. All molts are destroyed beyond recognition sadly.. I would be thrilled it it was a female, but I believe it's a male.. I will try to get you a proper pic, since you're kind of an expert on pokies here.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yes, I was and still am in much doubt. This regalis is something I cannot sex for sure no matter what.. I have posted it's fussilae here and general conclusion was that it is a male.. All molts are destroyed beyond recognition sadly.. I would be thrilled it it was a female, but I believe it's a male.. I will try to get you a proper pic, since you're kind of an expert on pokies here.
Don't need ventral pic at that size with this species. I can tell by the folium stripe.. If it's female it will be a bright bold cream color.. If it's male it will have black/grey folium bordered by thin white lines.. A vent shot won't hurt either though.. Lol..

And by no means am I an expert on poecs I just have worked with them alot..

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Don't need ventral pic at that size with this species. I can tell by the folium stripe.. If it's female it will be a bright bold cream color.. If it's male it will have black/grey folium bordered by thin white lines.. A vent shot won't hurt either though.. Lol..

And by no means am I an expert on poecs I just have worked with them alot..
thats the best I could do right now.. it's pissed off :D

http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/p-regalis.35376/

and this is the link to my fussilae pic

Attachments

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Vent pic is pretty blurry but looks to be a male.. Where do you refill his water dish the fountain of youth? Lol
I have no Idea.. Size and age point to female, yet ventral points to male.. I'm confused beyond repair :D I guess the next molt will show. If it doesn't show a MM, I give up. Then it's transgender or something I don't know :D

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's pretty obvious if your used to working with Poecilotheria but is easily missed by most as they don't have tibial hooks and the palps are relatively small..
This is why I'm not certain I would notice it when it happens. Not used to working with pokies, although I hope to be one day =-) I have this regalis and a P metallica sling at the moment, definitely plan on adding more to the collection

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This is why I'm not certain I would notice it when it happens. Not used to working with pokies, although I hope to be one day =-) I have this regalis and a P metallica sling at the moment, definitely plan on adding more to the collection
MM Poecs also take on a more fragile/ light bodied look as well as a more drab coloration..

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I've had male poecs live quite a long time with regular feeding. My P.met male took 4 years to mature and lived 2 years after maturity. He actually just passed last week. I have also had a P.miranda stick around for quite awhile. Some males just have really good genetics I guess.

cold blood

Staff member
That's shocking. Every male I have had has matured inside of 2 years...often about a year and a half. You say consistent temps, what is that temp? 65?

also when it is in hunting position on glass, you can easily see the pedipalps:)
The palps of a male before maturity look exactly the same as a female.

That pic looks like a female to me.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
That's shocking. Every male I have had has matured inside of 2 years...often about a year and a half. You say consistent temps, what is that temp? 65?

The palps of a male before maturity look exactly the same as a female.

That pic looks like a female to me.
My temperatures are usually in mid 70s to low 80s..

As for my post about pedipalps, that was meant for OP, who was sceptical of recognizing a MM