Problem Relentless popups

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what is with the constant pop ups on iOS? I used to get them about once every 100 page loads but now it’s nearly every time. I don’t want their bullshit amazon prize , it’s made the side nearly unusable. I’m surprised if I can even make this post. What’s changed ??

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
If you’re on iOS, with iPhone, iPad, download any AdBlocker from App Store, you won’t get any pop ups.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've noticed that this happens on Android as well. An ad blocker helps the situation, but it's not fool proof. On my phone, this issue comes and goes.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesn’t the site have any control over this scumbag behavior? Why in the world is this allowed ?

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Doesn’t the site have any control over this scumbag behavior? Why in the world is this allowed ?
Don't take this as gospel, but I suspect that it's the host that allows it, not AB itself. And AB doesn't have much say over what the host allows and doesn't allow. They have to follow the host's TOS just as much as you have to follow AB's TOS ;)

I initially thought that this was a case of an individual having adware on their phone, but it's been reported too many times across too many devices for that to be the case. Not to mention that the ads only come about on this particular site.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They certainly have a choice in hosts though. They’re not even ads it’s 100% scam nonsense. That’s no way to operate.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They certainly have a choice in hosts though. They’re not even ads it’s 100% scam nonsense. That’s no way to operate.
Switching hosts is a daunting task, and hosts often have contracts to where you can't back out any time you please without paying a fine.

I'm not speaking for the owners of the AB staff, I'm speaking in regards to my experience with web hosting. What I will say is that speaking out against moderation (especially the owners of the site) is firmly against the TOS. I understand your frustrations, but tread lightly.

Install an ad blocker and be done with it. You were given a solution in the first response to this thread.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have AdBlocker Ultimate (on Firefox) and it's seriously amazing: no more crappy ads, YT videos without a single 'commercial-waiting time' etc

I don't have a clue about mobile because I've used my smartphone, here, less than two times.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
How about, just try to keep the truth in mind:
-You go to a web site for info or entertainment. The reason for the you browsing. Pop ups and other ads are an annoyance.
-The truth, reality is, you and what you browsed for is an annoyance. The web site is there to sell stuff via pop ups and other ads. If they could keep your attention without having to shell out some of the profit to the web site, they would. Pop ups in their numerous forms are a means to that end. If you aren't undertaking every possible means to block and avoid them, bend over and smile, smile, smile.

@Chris LXXIX Pretty toasty program, eh wot? We're working on a version that self educates, spots new ways to intrude on your browsing and includes the new info in the updates.
PS FF for mobiles with the blockers is available. For those who just accept the Android or whatever and don't take precautions, just enjoy the enema.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/mobile/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.