Relatively New to the hobby, interested in good arboreal Species for beginners

Kommandant

Arachnopeon
Good day all, I've been interested in tarantulas for a while, i have owned a few terrestrial T's and one arboreal, but am interested in getting more. I would still consider myself relatively new to the hobby and have been out of it for a few years, so i would like to get started back up again with an arboreal species. I was thinking something of the avicularia Genus, as i have read that they are relatively good to start off with. The two species I've seen that are available to me now are the Avicularia Minatrix, and the Aviularia Kwitara, but I've heard that they can be pretty flighty in comparison to some of the other members of this genus. Any feed back would be appreciated, thanks for reading, sorry if something like this has been posted before.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
It depends on the individual tarantula, but A. Minatrix would be a good one, they are dwarf arboreal species. Any Avicularia would be good or Caribena Versicolor.

cold blood

Staff member
Well minitrix is super skittish and fast, not a good first IMO.

look for an adult A. avic...theyre readily available and inexpensive.

Versicolor would be a good choice as well.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
By kwitara i assume you mean Avicularia avicularia M6 (metallica) of the kwitara locality.. Its not a recognized separate species.

Any sort of larger specimen from the genus would be a fine fit.

Slings are killed all the time. If you go that route, read some of the care guides on here.

cold blood

Staff member
By kwitara i assume you mean Avicularia avicularia M6 (metallica) of the kwitara locality.. Its not a recognized separate species.
Yes...but oddly the t known formerly as metallica grows at a decent pace....all the people i know that keep or kept the t formerly known as kwitara say they are ultra slow growing....which leads me to think they may not be lumped together forever.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Good day all, I've been interested in tarantulas for a while, i have owned a few terrestrial T's and one arboreal, but am interested in getting more. I would still consider myself relatively new to the hobby and have been out of it for a few years, so i would like to get started back up again with an arboreal species. I was thinking something of the avicularia Genus, as i have read that they are relatively good to start off with. The two species I've seen that are available to me now are the Avicularia Minatrix, and the Aviularia Kwitara, but I've heard that they can be pretty flighty in comparison to some of the other members of this genus. Any feed back would be appreciated, thanks for reading, sorry if something like this has been posted before.
The Avicularia genus has a lot to offer, great genus for beginner arboreals. But don't ignore other arboreals that would make great beginners, such as Caribena versicolor as a solid possibility. It's stunningly attractive.

Kommandant

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all the responses guys, From what I've read avicularia spiderlings are more touchy then juveniles and adult species, what special care precautions should i be taking for avicularia slings?

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
A. avicularia would be my choice...Why? Species name is extremely easy to remember and pronounce.

Kommandant

Arachnopeon
The Avicularia genus has a lot to offer, great genus for beginner arboreals. But don't ignore other arboreals that would make great beginners, such as Caribena versicolor as a solid possibility. It's stunningly attractive.
I would definitly love to own a C. Versicolor, but they arent super available up here from what i've seen but i'll definitely be keeping my eyes open :)

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Thank you for all the responses guys, From what I've read avicularia spiderlings are more touchy then juveniles and adult species, what special care precautions should i be taking for avicularia slings?
Don't over analyze the "humidity" and cross ventilation is your friend.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Care for Avicularia avicularia slings is similar to care for juveniles and adults; they're just more sensitive to mistakes.

Care instructions:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yes...but oddly the t known formerly as metallica grows at a decent pace....all the people i know that keep or kept the t formerly known as kwitara say they are ultra slow growing....which leads me to think they may not be lumped together forever.
For sure. I wonder how the next revision will change things.

RowanFG

Arachnopeon
I would definitly love to own a C. Versicolor, but they arent super available up here from what i've seen but i'll definitely be keeping my eyes open :)
Are you looking at Tarantula Canada? I see they have only the two you mentioned in your first post. If you don't mind waiting you could try emailing them and asking when they are next getting Avics and Versicolors. Or ask Tangled in Webs for a shipping quote as they have 3 other kinds of Avics and the C Versicolor in stock.

Kommandant

Arachnopeon
Are you looking at Tarantula Canada? I see they have only the two you mentioned in your first post. If you don't mind waiting you could try emailing them and asking when they are next getting Avics and Versicolors. Or ask Tangled in Webs for a shipping quote as they have 3 other kinds of Avics and the C Versicolor in stock.
Yes i was looking at Tarantula Canada, i've purchased from there once before so i felt it was a good place to look again. Shipping is the main issue for me, I live in a bit more of an isolated area of canada then usual, so sometimes it can be hard to get stuff in

Foggy

Arachnopeon
I'd definitely vote for A. Avic just for the price, around here you can get a captive bred adult female for $29

RowanFG

Arachnopeon
Yes i was looking at Tarantula Canada, i've purchased from there once before so i felt it was a good place to look again. Shipping is the main issue for me, I live in a bit more of an isolated area of canada then usual, so sometimes it can be hard to get stuff in
They have Psalmopoeus, Pseudoclamoris, and Tapinauchenius species as well for NW arboreals.

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
I would recommend any Avic, they are all pretty hardy and interesting in behavior and looks. They eat well, have many cool looking species, and are readily available for the most part.