Reindeer moss

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I have some reindeer moss, my girlfriend wants to know if she dyed it would it be safe with Ts? Specifically is there a safe type of dye, like organic or something?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
If it’s a natural substance like berry juice or the like I’m sure it would be fine. Best to avoid any synthetic/unnatural dyes
May very well be natural substance to avoid too. Personally not something I’d do

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I recommend avoiding all of the aniline dyes, which are common wood dyes and might otherwise be attractive options. There are many food coloring dyes made from chemicals that are probably safe (e.g. lycopene, carmine, genipin, anatto, lutein). There's a real dearth of toxicology information available for Ts / inverts; tough subject even in humans.
What color does she want? You might also have to think about water fastness, and resistance to fading over time. Also, some dyes are dissolved in volatile solvents that are very toxic (e.g. alcohols, hexane), but no problem if you give them ample time to dry in advance.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I have some reindeer moss, my girlfriend wants to know if she dyed it would it be safe with Ts? Specifically is there a safe type of dye, like organic or something?
Personal opinion / hot take:

Dyeing moss to make it "look better" in your enclosure by introducing chemicals that may or may not be toxic to your Tarantula is a pretty dumb idea.
There's virtually no way to know whether any dye will be safe.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Personal opinion / hot take:

Dyeing moss to make it "look better" in your enclosure by introducing chemicals that may or may not be toxic to your Tarantula is a pretty dumb idea.
There's virtually no way to know whether any dye will be safe.
So why in what world is it dumb to seek knowledge of a dye that may or may not exist that is NON toxic? Enclosures looking good is part of what I enjoy, the animal will be safe so long as I ain't dumpin in toxic stuff, which is why I ask.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
So why in what world is it dumb to seek knowledge of a dye that may or may not exist that is NON toxic? Enclosures looking good is part of what I enjoy, the animal will be safe so long as I ain't dumpin in toxic stuff, which is why I ask.
No.its not a dumb question IMO.Just asking.Get a food grade dye,use that then introduce a dubia/cricket for a week.Mist/wet the moss,and see if anything dies?
My hunch is nothing will come of it,or harm the T.Especially using food grade dyes.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I guess in my world "looking good" means as natural looking as I can possibly make it which would mean not using dyes. But hey, if you want to risk the life of your pet, that's your choice.

No.its not a dumb question IMO.Just asking.Get a food grade dye,use that then introduce a dubia/cricket for a week.Mist/wet the moss,and see if anything dies?
My hunch is nothing will come of it,or harm the T.Especially using food grade dyes.
I wouldn't trust the life and health of one of my pets to a "hunch" that something which doesn't kill a cockroach or cricket isn't going to be harmful to my Tarantula, particularly with only a week exposure for the roach/cricket versus years of exposure for the Tarantula. Roaches are theorized to survive a nuclear war there's no way in the world I'd trust that something is safe because it didn't kill a roach in a week.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Well, I was going to defend you, as a guy having trouble trying to include his girlfriend in this hobby... but if this is all really coming from you!?
In seriousness, though, I think the above poster is really just expressing an opinion (and indicated it as such), and there was no intent to insult you.

It is my personal taste to get colors from natural materials like regular green moss or pothos (for humid enclosures) or airplants in drier arboreal enclosures. But you are a free and respectable man with your own valid tastes (or your girlfriend's tastes, if you're still trying to blame her!).
We should just answer your question and facilitate your wishes.

You can point out that all of the most toxic substances (tetrodotoxin, botulinum toxin, saponins, ricin, curare) are purely natural, while many of the most harmless and inert substances are synthetic. Everything is a chemical, from the most pure water, to sewage contaminated with nuclear waste. Ask people about all the plasticizers, accelerants, and BPA in their tarantula cages and water bowls. We just have to mind the science, play the odds, and manage the risks. Berry juice or even *cringe-like-the-universe-will-smite-you* synthetic dyes approved for human consumption, are probably a negligible risk when compared to many other atrocities of poor husbandry.

I remember the first project in my organic chemistry lab class: we extracted anisole from anise seeds (natural source), then we synthesized anisole by methylating sodium phenoxide with dimethyl sulfate (synthetic source). The conclusion of the experiment: anisole is anisole, and the synthetic version was more pure, probably safer -- the *revered-like-mother-goddess-earth-wanted-it-to-be-so* natural anisole had trace contaminants, probably methanol and other nasty things you wouldn't want to eat. Synthetic sources are often safer and better than natural. I wouldn't want to eat either product, because anisole smells like licorice, which I really hate!

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
:rolleyes: where was it said that it's a dumb question?
r Tarantula is a pretty dumb idea.
I was replying to @Pyrelitha ,in asking why it was a dumb question,not you as to it was a dumb idea.Your response made him/her feel the need to defend themselves.
Giving a response to a question,that results in a defensive reply is not helpful.Please see @DaveM ,s response.Thanks.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I was replying to @Pyrelitha ,in asking why it was a dumb question,not you as to it was a dumb idea.Your response made him/her feel the need to defend themselves.
Giving a response to a question,that results in a defensive reply is not helpful.Please see @DaveM ,s response.Thanks.
See, the thing is, I don't have a responsibility to be helpful in my replies here, so long as my replies don't violate the terms of service for the forum.

If you don't like what I post, you're welcome to block me so you don't have to see them ;) , really makes no difference to me.

@Pyrelitha , here are some search results. This topic has been discussed a bunch of times before
https://arachnoboards.com/search/75775/?q=Dyes&t=post&c[nodes][0]=49&c[nodes][1]=2&o=date

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'm sorry but cockroaches have been around so long, that some have become immune to actual poisons meant to kill roaches. Just because they survived a week with a substance, no way, no how means it is safe to put in a tarantula cage for years upon years upon years. That thought process is truly a headscratcher.

That being said, I have seen reindeer moss in gorgeous natural colors including several shades of green and cream. I would not imagine anyone would be looking for purple, orange,baby blue,pink, etc. as this isn't fish tank coral or gravel LOL.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Seems it started a tussle, I wasn't mad in any way lol. I just found it dumb to say its a dumb idea to look for color to add to an enclosure, asking people who have dealt with tarantulas if theres anything known to be safe as a dye for moss it, wasn't really defending myself or being angry at the guy, he just had an absolutely absurd way to talk to someone asking a question IMO, ofc we obviously have different opinions on how to pass along knowledge. A simple, "Some dyes can be toxic, there's no way to be sure of what is safe so it's a risk I wouldn't advise". And my conclusion would be what it is now I am not going to allow my girlfriend to dye the moss for the Ts. And for the gent who mention colored reindeer moss being sold, well I've seen those.. Aren't those dyed?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Seems it started a tussle, I wasn't mad in any way lol. I just found it dumb to say its a dumb idea to look for color to add to an enclosure, asking people who have dealt with tarantulas if theres anything known to be safe as a dye for moss it, wasn't really defending myself or being angry at the guy, he just had an absolutely absurd way to talk to someone asking a question IMO, ofc we obviously have different opinions on how to pass along knowledge. A simple, "Some dyes can be toxic, there's no way to be sure of what is safe so it's a risk I wouldn't advise". And my conclusion would be what it is now I am not going to allow my girlfriend to dye the moss for the Ts. And for the gent who mention colored reindeer moss being sold, well I've seen those.. Aren't those dyed?
I do not believe so. Reindeer Moss Lichen naturally comes in the colors I mentioned seeing available.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
If the spider lives...then it was safe. If the spider dies, then yeah...bad idea.