Rehousing

Anjeeezzy

Arachnopeon
Hi is ok to rehouse my tarantula when in premolt? Or should i wait for her molt

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I've only rehoused when not in premoult just on the off chance it unsettles the T right before they try. Are you rehousing for a specific reason? Just bigger size for a soon-to-be-bigger T?

Leave them in their familiar surroundings, let them moult, let them harden THEN rehouse is what I've been doing.

Anjeeezzy

Arachnopeon
I've only rehoused when not in premoult just on the off chance it unsettles the T right before they try. Are you rehousing for a specific reason? Just bigger size for a soon-to-be-bigger T?

Leave them in their familiar surroundings, let them moult, let them harden THEN rehouse is what I've been doing.

just wanted to transfer in a bigger enclosure. 😅

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Yeah, in that case, I'd just wait it out :)
I tend to set my enclosures up a couple weeks in advance anyway, lets it settle in and I normally change my mind a couple of times as to where I finally want the decor :rofl:

*edit grammar

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I rehoused a T in premoult recently, because I felt its current enclosure was too boggy and the T was uncomfortable in it. Plus it was a long premoult and I didn't expect the moult to come imminently.

If it is just for an upsize, I would probably wait a couple of weeks until after it has moulted.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
I rehoused a T the day before it molted, and it was fine. I honestly prefer to rehouse in early premolt, it usually means a slower and calmer t in my experience.

dogpack

Arachnosquire
Research reveals the a T depending on its living habits should have about three times the length of their diaginol leg span. If your T has plenty of room leave it be to live happily and unstressed where it is. Stress is not good for humans or t's.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Research reveals the a T depending on its living habits should have about three times the length of their diaginol leg span. If your T has plenty of room leave it be to live happily and unstressed where it is. Stress is not good for humans or t's.
Research reveals tarantulas live outside of cages aswell and have much more than 3x their dls to roam. Seriously, where did you find a research paper on tarantulas optimal housing dimensions?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hi is ok to rehouse my tarantula when in premolt? Or should i wait for her molt
In general, if there isn't an emergency situation (like ants) or if you don't believe the tarantula has enough room to molt properly and safely, then it's best to wait until that tarantula has molted and hardened up. I'll also wait until they have had atleast one good meal to help recover from the molt before I rehouse and potentially stress the tarantula out.

cold blood

Staff member
Unless the molt looks eminent, I think pre molt is the best time to re house because a pre molt t will web, and lay down a molt mat....this accelerates the acclimation process. Often there is no acclimation as they web an area up and come out of the molt ready to feed ad tend not to miss a beat.

That's my experience anyway.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Unless the molt looks eminent, I think pre molt is the best time to re house because a pre molt t will web, and lay down a molt mat....this accelerates the acclimation process. Often there is no acclimation as they web an area up and come out of the molt ready to feed ad tend not to miss a beat.

That's my experience anyway.
Interesting view point. I do see the wisdom behind it, especially for the slower growing terrestrial species that might be in premolt for months on end.

dogpack

Arachnosquire
The information I researched and found is simply a guide and starting place for considering a possible size. When I find that info again and if I remember to, I will post the URL.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
The information I researched and found is simply a guide and starting place for considering a possible size. When I find that info again and if I remember to, I will post the URL.
Thats just a recommendation based off of keepers experiences and opinions, not off of an actual research paper lol.

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Research reveals tarantulas live outside of cages aswell and have much more than 3x their dls to roam. Seriously, where did you find a research paper on tarantulas optimal housing dimensions?
I read the enclosures are small because (despite there being over 1000 species), T's only live in one spot and dont go wandering around etc. I new to the hobby, not a pro.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
I read the enclosures are small because (despite there being over 1000 species), T's only live in one spot and dont go wandering around etc. I new to the hobby, not a pro.
I know how tarantulas behave in the wild. My point was there are no studies saying that the ideal enclosure size is X times the dls of the t or whatever.

Edit: also while they usually stay in one spot, they most certainly do wander if they feel the need.